Gorbees vw trike

Just a few words to Introduce youself
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Gorbees vw trike

Post by Deep Diver »

I'll get my camera :hoofle:
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

It should only take about 2 or 3 miles to bed in the shoes. Get on a straight road and press the pedal lightly while driving. Only do this for a 100 yards. Do this around 3 or 4 times and the shoes should be ok. Don't rub down the high areas as that's all I ever do.

gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

It's going to be difficult as i have a foot excelerator, will have to use a stick :eek: on a serious note i will jack it up & run it stationery.Was looking at the old shoes i took off,they are quite new & in good nick & look to of been bedded in evenly so i gave them a scrub with emery paper & filed the edges,may well put them back on when the cylinders arrive.
The older i get the earlier it seems to get late.
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Right where do i start,stripped the brakes out both sides,the cylinders i took of were 19mm cleaned everything up & fitted the new cylinders 22mm & fitted the older brake shoes adjusted all the shoes so there just rubbing & bled the brakes went back & adjusted shoes again, had no one to give me a hand so jammed a piece of wood on the brake pedal lightly & it had resistance on the drums so jammed it tighter & it locked the brakes both sides solid couldn't turn the drums by hand released the jammed wood & drums turned freely tried the hand brake locked up the off side drum lovely, pedal feels a little better but still a bit hard.By this time i've had enough & haven't the energy to put the wheels back on & test it out,will do that tomorrow & let you know if it's worked.Bruisers brake saga continues.......
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

The only way you can see is a road test

gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Will test it tomorrow,too knackered to do it today....
Skidmark
Part of the Furniture

Post by Skidmark »

just a thought if it were a case of cheap crappy shoes causing the problem, is there such things as for other cars rear brake shoes made from say green stuff or a recommended good quality 40mm wide brake shoes for my drums
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Skidmark wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:05 pm just a thought if it were a case of cheap crappy shoes causing the problem, is there such things as for other cars rear brake shoes made from say green stuff or a recommended good quality 40mm wide brake shoes for my drums
It could be, i use QH stuff which are a pretty reliable quality,but saying that even if they were crappy shoes they should still stop you but probably wouldn't last long :hide: wait til tomorrow & i will post my results.
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

One thing i did notice on the 19mm cylinders is that they have a stop washer on the piston that stops it going back to far into the cylinder were as the 22mm don't which allows the piston to move more in & out.
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Hurray :thumbsup: i have brakes. They are good & stop me well but at the moment will not lock up i think they just need a little usage & hoping they will get better once bedded in,at least there safe & it's rideable :thumbsup: so in conclusion fitting the 22mm slave cylinders with a 3/4 bore master seems to of cured the problem so i will run it around a bit & adjust the shoes again once they have settled.