Bolt on conversion kits

Just a few words to Introduce youself
trevchelle

Bolt on conversion kits

Post by trevchelle »

Good morning folks. I'm a trike rider and I have a question concerning bolt on trike conversion kits.
Ok, so when it comes to a straightforward bolt on conversion kit I've asked lots of people and can't get a definitive answer. Can a newly converted bike to trike be ridden legally once all the correct paperwork has been sent to dvla and waiting to be processed.
Thanks
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Re: Bolt on conversion kits

Post by firebob22 »

Hi trevchelle, until all the paperwork is back from DVLA you won't be able to use the newly converted trike on the road as until it's properly registered, you can't insure it if it's using the bikes original reg number, as it'll come up on their system as a motorcycle. If you've not already done so, it'll also need an MOT, a form to be filled in from DVLA, a weight certificate, photo's of the trike from front, back, left & right & also the VIN number on the headstock, various receipts for parts used & the fee for road tax. I've done this a few times now & while it seems quite involved, it's pretty straightforward but will take about 6 weeks to come back to you with a shiny new V5 that states trike in all the right places.
I'd wait until that day before venturing out on the road. All the best & if you need any more info, gimme a shout, happy to help. Bob. :thumbsup:
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Re: Bolt on conversion kits

Post by Andy from Sandy »

You might have sent the paper work but until you get the V5 back it hasn't been processed. Until that day as above you still have a bike and not a trike.

If you haven't fully satisfied DVLA then you clearly need to correct errors and omissions along the way.