Kawasaki trike

Chat about Trikes
gorbee01279
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Kawasaki trike

Post by gorbee01279 »

Hi all, got a problem with my 1995 Kawasaki 550 GT trike, bike starts and runs fine but have got no indicators,lights or horn, checked all fuses, OK started to trace power from starter solenoid all OK until going into regulator/rectifier showing no power done as per instruction manual with switches both on and of.....what could be the problem :bang: any help would be greatly appreciated. gorbee
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: Kawasaki trike

Post by Kawazuki »

All I can add to this discussion is I tried and failed with the std loom - a more back arse wards waste of wire I have yet to find! I rewired mine (GT550 G4) completely front to back and everything now works and is protected as I believe it should be!
Last edited by Kawazuki on Wed May 25, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad B0B

Post by Mad B0B »

I know rectifiers can die, and that sounds exactly what's happened to yours. You would probably need to get a new one.
It's all about the grin on your face

:rock on:

My Build Log
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

The rectifier bit is usually bullet proof - the regulator is the bit that craps out! Basically their simple design means they have to dump excess charge as heat and they get 'cooked' over time. The last one I replaced was on my daily NTV650 - used one from a Honda Blackbird as it has bigger output alternator so the smaller 650 one wouldn't give it so much grief.
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

I had a rectifier blow on the XT550

The tell was 90v AC coming out of it :)
It also boiled dry the battery.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Hi All, thanks for all your suggestions, only one problem is! that I am not getting any power to the regulator/rectifier when I meter the input red/white wire and the blue/white at the connector with switches on & off showing no voltage? started striping back wires from solenoid not found anything as yet, hot wired indicators & rear lights all lit up so circuit & bulbs is OK, is it pointing to the dreaded broken wire trace or can I by pass it some how as a temporary measure till I find the fault. Cheers all gorbee
The older i get the earlier it seems to get late.
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Hi, Going to replace rectifier & indicator relay for peace of mind will let you know how I get on. Obviously not the first to come across this problem.... :bang: :beer:
gareth136

Post by gareth136 »

May be a stupid suggestion but what about the connections on the ignition barrel I had an intermittent power problem with one of my main lives and turned out the solder on the underside of the barrel had broken away :thumbsup:
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Hi Gareth, ignition is fine, bike starts & runs fine but will check anyway :beer:
Mad B0B

Post by Mad B0B »

gorbee0127 wrote:Hi All, thanks for all your suggestions, only one problem is! that I am not getting any power to the regulator/rectifier when I meter the input red/white wire and the blue/white at the connector with switches on & off showing no voltage? started striping back wires from solenoid not found anything as yet, hot wired indicators & rear lights all lit up so circuit & bulbs is OK, is it pointing to the dreaded broken wire trace or can I by pass it some how as a temporary measure till I find the fault. Cheers all gorbee
Have you checked the output from the gen/alt/mag? Also check the battery output
It's all about the grin on your face

:rock on:

My Build Log