Fuel tank size

Chat about Trikes
handym4n01

Fuel tank size

Post by handym4n01 »

Anyone any suggestions for increasing the fuel capacity on my Suzuki VS 1400 trike please? Having a lot of fun with the trike but having to re-fuel too regularly! Getting only around 55-60 miles from a full tank. Could there be a larger tank which I can fit or some kind of a 'reserve' tank I could fit?
Stix
Part of the Furniture

Re: Fuel tank size

Post by Stix »

A bit of info will help for those of us that are not too familiar with the vs1400.
Can you put up a pic of the tank and how it fits, is the bike running carbs or injection, is there a fuel pump in the tank, if it is carbed and gravity fed any larger tank will do the job and there are plenty of aftermarket ones available or take a look at other cruiser style bikes and check out the tanks they use.
Stix
Herby01
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Herby01 »

:worthless:
:loco: :crazy: :rotfl: :b :woot: :killing me: :rant: :drink: :shemademe:
Herby01

Post by Herby01 »

How good are you at fabrication? Can you weld? If yes then there's always the possibility of converting an old calor gas bottle to a tank and fitting it to your trike. Some pics would be really helpful here then we can give suggestions based on what you have instead of just throwing suggestions in the mix :thumbsup:
:loco: :crazy: :rotfl: :b :woot: :killing me: :rant: :drink: :shemademe:
Stix
Part of the Furniture

Post by Stix »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1442535 ... 3/?fref=nf

If this has worked scroll down and a guy is selling a pair of Harley fat bob tanks, you will need to do or have some fabrication done to mount them but they should give you plenty of range.

Stix

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 5573.m1684

Quite a few here it will depend on you fabrication skills and how much you want to spend.
rowfab
Part of the Furniture

Post by rowfab »

The problem with the intruder tank is that it looks bigger than it is. The underside of the tank is cut away to fit over the heads etc. One solution is to fabricate another tank and install it with an electric pump that pushes fuel up into the original tank. I realise that the trike will have two fuel pumps this way but it will also have a lot more capacity.
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

rowfab wrote:The problem with the intruder tank is that it looks bigger than it is. The underside of the tank is cut away to fit over the heads etc. One solution is to fabricate another tank and install it with an electric pump that pushes fuel up into the original tank. I realise that the trike will have two fuel pumps this way but it will also have a lot more capacity.
Plus one on this way. :thumbsup:
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
handym4n01

Post by handym4n01 »

Stix wrote:A bit of info will help for those of us that are not too familiar with the vs1400.
Can you put up a pic of the tank and how it fits, is the bike running carbs or injection, is there a fuel pump in the tank, if it is carbed and gravity fed any larger tank will do the job and there are plenty of aftermarket ones available or take a look at other cruiser style bikes and check out the tanks they use.
Stix
Hi Stix, thanks for the replies. Can't put any detailed pics up as the trike is over in France (in storage until I go back next April). I have put up a couple of general pics from my memory just so you can see what it looks like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stix
Part of the Furniture

Post by Stix »

maybe an extra tank with a pump to transfer fuel when needed or the harley fat bob tanks could work.

Where abouts in France?? and is the trike registered over here or on UK plates?
I am living in Eance a small village in Ille et Villaine just on the edge of the Loire and in the very south of Brittany.

Stix
Stix
Part of the Furniture

Post by Stix »

To keep the original tank(cos it looks nice) a tank could be fabricated to fit under the rear mudguard probably best in steel as ally might suffer from vibration and possibly crack, with a one way valve welded into the back of the tank it should work fine and just switch on a pump to refill the stock tank .

stix