Newbie Question: Buying vs Converting

Chat about Trikes
sah1988

Newbie Question: Buying vs Converting

Post by sah1988 »

Hi Guys,

as the title suggests I'm doing my research at the moment on trikes, hoping to get one this year, and I cannot decide whether its better to buy a complete trike or go down the route of converting a bike into a trike.

I know there is DVLA criteria when converting a bike to a trike and that when buying a trike it needs to have the V5 stating "trike".

What i'm after is people's experiences either buying a complete trike or building their own

I would stress I'm not mechanically minded but I am learning and I have friends who are into bikes/mechanics also so I wouldn't be doing it alone :)

Thanks in advance
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Re: Newbie Question: Buying vs Converting

Post by 1130cc »

In a nutshell:
  • If it is a bolt on rear end for a bike it is nice and simple to get registered
  • If the backend is in anyway welded to the frame, or just could not easily be returned to its original form, it must go through an MSVA test and be assigned its own Q registration, as if a new vehicle.
  • If you build you own trike from donor parts, it must be tested by VOSA and you get a new Q registration. (Except if it is a bolt on as above)
  • If it says it is a Reliant trike, then it better look like a reliant, unless it has a Q registration
Have a read of this - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10552&p=98901

At the end of the day, what you really you need is a V8 :).
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
AngeloftheAbyss
Part of the Furniture

Post by AngeloftheAbyss »

It's best to buy a properly made Trike :hide: , it just makes sense :thumbsup: .
Freedom has a price, the cost is buried in the ground :nono:
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by jinjachin »

It depends on your budget if you can afford a factory or Professional build go for it having no mechanical knowledge it will be at a higher level than you can build ( depending on your mates ability ) if you looking at buying a home built check the welding and how the Axel is mounted there are some nightmares out there but plenty of good ones too .another thing is the amount of time it takes to do it fabrication takes a lot longer than most people think im not trying to put you off its just the way it is. If you build it your self the sence of achievement is great
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

"Not mechanically minded" allways gets me going - forgive me, but since most things mechanical can be seen, measured, filed, fitted, then as long as anyone is fit and able they should, with time and practice master most things.
The issue is of course, how much time and dedication learning these skills would take, and I appreciate not everyone has this time. One thing is for certain though - if you buy a trike that isn't built to the highest standards you'll either learn or sell it.
My own was bought with the gubbins pretty much hidden, and I wanted it enough not to walk away, so even after a price reducing haggle I still paid too much for it, and ended up with 3 years work to sort it, and honestly, even though it's ridable and reliable, it's still not as it should be. I have a fully equipped workshop at home - to pay someone to do what I've done would have cost many thousands.
So good luck, take the advice in the link, take an expert with you to view, and walk away if there is any pigeon poo welding or any other issues.
lepchaun
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by lepchaun »

have a look in triketalk on here theres a tread about how to register a bolt on its not that hard to do
sah1988

Post by sah1988 »

Thanks guys for all the feedback its really appreciated :)

will keep you guys updated as to what route I go ;)