Well it's been a blast!!!!

Chat about Trikes
smudger252

Well it's been a blast!!!!

Post by smudger252 »

**Caveat Emptor** or buyer beware

Got my first trike in June (1993 WK Custom), which had an engine swap from 1200 up to 1600. Three months later on my way to the Harley in the city event the engine went POP quite spectacularly.

So back to the workshop it goes to find that the engine is goosed with blown valves and a cracked cylinder head, so off it goes to get a refurbished long block (£1200) which wasn't that bad and with the purchase price keeps the machine reasonably priced.

However jobs that the seller said had been done, raised their nasty little heads again.

Wiring must have been knitted by the sellers granny, so whilst waiting on the return of the engine we removed the body and starting running a new wiring loom. We removed the cheap and nasty Led indicators and brake lights and fitted lights which meant the trike would be seen in the daylight when turning.

We also had an intermittent problem with the speedometer, which was cured by buying and installing a all in one unit from the kit car builders catalogue along with some some decent rocker switches for fog, headlights and hazard lights removing the "organ stop" switches.. we also installed a push start and battery isolator switch.

"Nice" Purple/Pink Seats were re-upholstered in Black with new padding and the fixing bolts refixed to the fibreglass bases.

A new clutch was required due to the incorrect angle of the engine as it looked like it had been lined up by eye with a guy with a squint, new hub seals and a clean up and refurb of the brakes seem to have solved most of the other mechanical problems.

The trike itself wasn't bad enough to post in the "black museum" but the workmanship of the engine upgrade and the wiring is that poor it's laughable that someone thought they were capable of doing the job (ability not matching ambition)

All that said I think that the cost of the trike is still below the cost of the new engine and upgrades, but will not make up for the loss of use over the last four months.....Roll on the new season

[font=]If you're thinking of buying a trike whether its factory or home built try and take someone with you that knows what they're doing... I didn't but was lucky and got away with it this time.[/font]
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Well it's been a blast!!!!

Post by Deep Diver »

Hi smudger, what speedo did you fit as I am looking for one to. I am thinking of a GPS one. One like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smiths-Repli ... 2939255974
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
smudger252

Post by smudger252 »

Went with this one as it provided all warning lights and an oil temp warning too

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ ... instrument
TrikerBo
Part of the Furniture

Post by TrikerBo »

Frustrating when you expect people to have the same morals as you and accept what they say. Enjoy the new season