fan

Chat about Trikes
billybop

fan

Post by billybop »

hi there
does anybody know how to wire a pan 1100 radiator fan to run off a switch for when you are stuck in traffic .
thanks.
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Re: fan

Post by 1130cc »

Looks like the negative is switched, so add a switch between the thermostat and the fan motor.
Or, check which side is live, and put the switch on the other side. The existing wire on one side of the switch, and the other side to the frame.

At least I think that is right :O

The Fan Motor is top, just right of middle, in the diagram.

Source : http://st-riders.net/aow/AOW%20-%20ST11 ... ng%203.jpg
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

1130cc wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:57 pm Looks like the negative is switched, so add a switch between the thermostat and the fan motor. This won't achieve anything except stopping the fan working LOL!
Or, check which side is live, and put the switch on the other side. The existing wire on one side of the switch, and the other side to the frame. Whilst sort of correct it would be better to take a separate wire from the thermostat side of the fan motor to the switch and then to frame / ground. This way allows the stat to work independently as normal and for you to turn it on early if you wish
See above in red.
billybop

Post by billybop »

Thanks very much gentlemen .
billybop

Post by billybop »

Thanks very much gentlemen .
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

Kawazuki wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:02 pm
1130cc wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:57 pm Looks like the negative is switched, so add a switch between the thermostat and the fan motor. This won't achieve anything except stopping the fan working LOL!
Or, check which side is live, and put the switch on the other side. The existing wire on one side of the switch, and the other side to the frame. Whilst sort of correct it would be better to take a separate wire from the thermostat side of the fan motor to the switch and then to frame / ground. This way allows the stat to work independently as normal and for you to turn it on early if you wish
See above in red.
Yeah, I knew the first line did not really make sense, which is why I expanded what I meant.

Your solution is the same as mine, it is just where you connect the switch.
At the end of the day you leave continuity between the thermostat and the motor, and you intoduce the ability to make a switchable contact between that wire and earth (the frame) .

You either do that along the existing wire (easy), or open up the motor so you can get to the connection to solder a new wire on (not so easy).
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

When the water temperature rises doesn't the thermostat close switching on the fan?

If the fan never runs is that an indication that it isn't needed or you have a fault somewhere?

Why do you need to turn on the fan manually?
billybop

Post by billybop »

hi .
when your stuck in traffic the temp can rise pretty quick.
which a manuel switch i can control the temp at the touch of a switch .