Disc conversion.

Chat about Trikes
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Disc conversion.

Post by firebob22 »

Hi all, i'm thinking of doing a disc conversion on the rear of the Dragstar. Now the problem is I know FA about cars & their wily ways. I've seen the converter plates on fleabay & discs that are specific to reliant axles but as to calipers & their carriers, i'm a bit lost. Saw a site from Manky Monkey that has an article about just such a conversion but has vague descriptions of calipers & discs, suggesting VW Golf 1.8 GTI calipers & Vauxhall nova discs. Looked on fleabay but so many models are covered that i'm getting a bit lost. The drums I've got at the mo are adequate but I'd like a bit more stopping power especially two up. I won't be offended if you treat me as a know nothing 'cos I am. Question 1, how does the handbrake work on a caliper? 2, will the standard bike master cylinder be up to the job? It's pretty good on the drums with no problems.3, does the conversion affect the wheel spacing inside the mudguard? These & many more questions need answering! Thanks guys, it's over to you. Cheers, Bob. :beer:
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Disc conversion.

Post by jinjachin »

from what ive read over the years the disc converson isnt no better than well adjusted drums . there is a lot less weight in the trike compared to the reliant so should be more than adequate discs do look better but i wouldnt bother my self just keep your drums adjusted
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Whether its a good idea or not, I can't comment but will answer your queries - 1. There are cable actuators built into the calipers so effectively works the same as the drums and are usually self adjusting with cable stretch adjusted at the handle. 2. The bike m/cylinder 'may' be ok but may have a longer pedal / require longer cylinder piston stroke and you may run out of length. 3. Wheel spacing will be affected but no more than 1/8 - 3/16" as the disc fits between the drive flange and the wheel whereas with drums the wheel attaches directly to the drive flange.
Whilst drums are good, when loaded with a passenger/luggage and lots of braking they will get hot and could fade whilst disc's have greater capacity for heat and they cool better so can withstand 'abuse' longer.
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Thanks for the replies. As you say jinjachin, the drums are ok & work quite well. Just thought that if anyone could give a definite yes or no as to if it would be worth the conversion. Thanks for the answers Kawazuki, they've explained a lot & I get it now. I'll keep looking into the ins & outs of this. It would be a winter conversion anyway so plenty of time to weigh things up. Cheers guys, Bob. :thumbsup:
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

as i said im not sure they are much better but they do make the trike look better engineered . as kawasuki said they will stay cooler which would be a no brainer if you are having over heating brakes
CyprusTrike

Post by CyprusTrike »

If it is of any help I tried a disc conversion using EMPI kit and all seemed fine for a while, although not a lot of difference in slowing the Trike, then a few things started to go wrong, knocking / rubbing sound when going over speed bumps and when cornering but only to the right. I eventually got this down to the disc conversion and went back to drums but this I found was still bad for slowing the Trike, WK 1.6 VW, so I fitted a servo and this in combination with the drums on the rear I have found works very well indeed.
Big Blue

Post by Big Blue »

I thought of fitting a servo, but it has a Mustang axle and drum brakes, I can lock the rear wheels, so improvement is pointless, just for the sake of using less foot pressure. Think if someone gave me one I would probably fit it, probably.
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

On the odd occasion I have had a servo fail the brakes are no less better if you can push the peddle down.

If you can lock the wheels now then a servo will allow you to use less foot pressure to achieve the same thing.

Conversely if the brakes don't stop you regardless of how hard you press the peddle then a servo will not make things better.
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Typical! Thinking of doing the disc conversion & listening to all the pros & cons from you lot, when out for a jolly on Monday, one of the rear wheel cylinders decided to jam itself on! Managed to free it off & headed back home just using the front twin discs. Stripped it down yesterday & found it totally seized for no apparent reason. I'm going to replace both wheel cylinders just to make sure as the other side must be about the same age, & it'll get me back on the road for now until I decide about the conversion. Life's one long round of fun! Cheers all, Bob. :beer: