Trike weight for MOT

Chat about Trikes
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Re: Trike weight for MOT

Post by Andy from Sandy »

If in doubt get it on a weigh bridge. If it's under 450Kg it is class 3.
paul.r

Post by paul.r »

My Trike is 2007 reg and I believe was converted from new,or very shortly after by Appleyards..it has been thro' every MOT as a class3 ,when taken in for an MOT the first thing the tester does is log on to the MOT Testing Portal and put the reg number into the computer ,this brings all its details up, if it's recorded as taxation class ...TRICYCLE, NOT PLG then it is tested as a class 3 immaterial of revenue weight of which there is none recorded....Trouble with some testers is they will not be qualified for class 3 or have the proper equipment/knowledge so will test it as a class 4 if only for the money...The tester where I take my Trike/Car/Bikes is a motorcyclist himself so knows what he is on about....
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

paul.r wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:20 am ............if it's recorded as taxation class ...TRICYCLE, NOT PLG then it is tested as a class 3 immaterial of revenue weight of which there is none recorded....
You are incorrect!
2023-02-01 07_17_58-Getting an MOT_ MOT costs - GOV.UK.png
Source: https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/mot-test-fees
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
paul.r

Post by paul.r »

I'm quite aware of what it says on the Gov website,and I am correct in saying if it is recorded as taxation class Tricycle then it will be tested Class 3 not 4,I am sure Appleyards knew what they were doing when it was first tested after being built by them,do you suggest I take it to be weighed just to be sure ...I think not...I believe there are some more Trikers on here with the type of Trike I have..... maybe they will come on and give an opinion,I still maintain there are testers out there unqualified for class 3 and will just do it as 4 for the money it brings in.If it says taxation class PLG then thats fair enough but if it doesn't ?????...Just to add I have received my vehicle tax reminder this morning.....Make.HONDA...Tax Class..TRICYCLE..Engine capacity 1832cc.... £101.00 year...£55 .55 six months. In all honesty if it was to be tested as a PLG Class4,it would probably make life far easier to get it done if this one didn't exist,as it happens the one I go to is only a couple of miles away and has done all my bikes, and car, He puts it on the car ramps with another channel for the front wheel in the middle and raises it in the air, tests the brakes on the rolling road.He also does my mates CSC Goldwing trike as class 3. Where another class 3 testing station is.. I have no idea,My car doesn't have any revenue weight listed either,it just says alternative fuel vehicle and the tax on that is £0.......take care ..have a nice day... :thumbsup:
terryt
Part of the Furniture

Post by terryt »

paul.r wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:58 am I'm quite aware of what it says on the Gov website,and I am correct in saying if it is recorded as taxation class Tricycle then it will be tested Class 3 not 4,I am sure Appleyards knew what they were doing when it was first tested after being built by them,do you suggest I take it to be weighed just to be sure ...I think not...I believe there are some more Trikers on here with the type of Trike I have..... maybe they will come on and give an opinion,I still maintain there are testers out there unqualified for class 3 and will just do it as 4 for the money it brings in.If it says taxation class PLG then thats fair enough but if it doesn't ?????...Just to add I have received my vehicle tax reminder this morning.....Make.HONDA...Tax Class..TRICYCLE..Engine capacity 1832cc.... £101.00 year...£55 .55 six months. In all honesty if it was to be tested as a PLG Class4,it would probably make life far easier to get it done if this one didn't exist,as it happens the one I go to is only a couple of miles away and has done all my bikes, and car, He puts it on the car ramps with another channel for the front wheel in the middle and raises it in the air, tests the brakes on the rolling road.He also does my mates CSC Goldwing trike as class 3. Where another class 3 testing station is.. I have no idea,My car doesn't have any revenue weight listed either,it just says alternative fuel vehicle and the tax on that is £0.......take care ..have a nice day... :thumbsup:
A gl 1800 bikes weight is approx 405 kg add the trike kit that makes your trike about 500 plus kg get it weighed to be sure. so that makes it a class 4 mot. Appleyard would have weighed it proberly with all the panels remove and are you 100% certain what weight is was when appleyard got it 1st motd as a trike
paul.r

Post by paul.r »

Hi terryt,....I know you and others are just being helpful offering advice..BUT...I am well aware of the weight of this trike, you are exactly right in what you say about it. BUT what I am trying to say is, as long as it says Taxation Class Tricycle on my log book (there is no revenue weight).. it will be tested as just that,Appleyards may have done what you say but they have built literally scores if not hundreds of Trikes and have a great reputation for quality build.But if they and the DVLA feel it right for it to appear as this on the log book then who am I ( just a working class fella) to argue with them,......it's like getting a tax rebate and sending it back...Would anyone else on here in the same boat go and get one weighed to prove them wrong,and pay more road tax, or, just go along with what it already says on their log book it ???,I believe Lep took a lot of gear off his Trike to get it weighed and then put it all back on again, Wish I'd never mentioned it now.... :hide: :o viewtopic.php?t=13385
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

I cannot see why the DVLA wouldn't fill in the V5 fully.

If you declined to send in the weight maybe the DVLA would decline to give you a V5 without it.

I think you will find it is the same form for everyone wanting to change the class from bike to trike. There isn't a special one for someone calling themselves a professional. Form V70.
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

My Boom is class 3..........
lepchaun
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by lepchaun »

paul.r wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:10 am Hi terryt,....I know you and others are just being helpful offering advice..BUT...I am well aware of the weight of this trike, you are exactly right in what you say about it. BUT what I am trying to say is, as long as it says Taxation Class Tricycle on my log book (there is no revenue weight).. it will be tested as just that,Appleyards may have done what you say but they have built literally scores if not hundreds of Trikes and have a great reputation for quality build.But if they and the DVLA feel it right for it to appear as this on the log book then who am I ( just a working class fella) to argue with them,......it's like getting a tax rebate and sending it back...Would anyone else on here in the same boat go and get one weighed to prove them wrong,and pay more road tax, or, just go along with what it already says on their log book it ???,I believe Lep took a lot of gear off his Trike to get it weighed and then put it all back on again, Wish I'd never mentioned it now.... :hide: :o viewtopic.php?t=13385
Leave me out of this :hoofle: :hoofle: yes i took the rear box and panniers off and put them on my home scales 12kg witch meant it was 448kg without the boxes if first weight was right but when i put it back on the bridge it read 440kg confusing or what so my reason was weigh bridges go up in 20kg slots so if it weighs 441kg it will say 460kg and my trike said 460kg
Top and bottom is what it says on the v5 its like emissions class 4 mot has emissions and class 2/3 doesent but all trikes are exempt from emissions but some one on here i belive it was said a mot tester failed there trike on emissions
Feck now i need another coffee this writing is hard work :hoofle: :hoofle:
paul.r

Post by paul.r »

lepchaun wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:45 am
paul.r wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:10 am Hi terryt,....I know you and others are just being helpful offering advice..BUT...I am well aware of the weight of this trike, you are exactly right in what you say about it. BUT what I am trying to say is, as long as it says Taxation Class Tricycle on my log book (there is no revenue weight).. it will be tested as just that,Appleyards may have done what you say but they have built literally scores if not hundreds of Trikes and have a great reputation for quality build.But if they and the DVLA feel it right for it to appear as this on the log book then who am I ( just a working class fella) to argue with them,......it's like getting a tax rebate and sending it back...Would anyone else on here in the same boat go and get one weighed to prove them wrong,and pay more road tax, or, just go along with what it already says on their log book it ???,I believe Lep took a lot of gear off his Trike to get it weighed and then put it all back on again, Wish I'd never mentioned it now.... :hide: :o viewtopic.php?t=13385
Leave me out of this :hoofle: :hoofle: yes i took the rear box and panniers off and put them on my home scales 12kg witch meant it was 448kg without the boxes if first weight was right but when i put it back on the bridge it read 440kg confusing or what so my reason was weigh bridges go up in 20kg slots so if it weighs 441kg it will say 460kg and my trike said 460kg
Top and bottom is what it says on the v5 its like emissions class 4 mot has emissions and class 2/3 doesent but all trikes are exempt from emissions but some one on here i belive it was said a mot tester failed there trike on emissions
Feck now i need another coffee this writing is hard work :hoofle: :hoofle:

You could always nip/walk down to the new(ish) McDonalds on Retford Road for a McCafé...one minute there was nothing there the next !!!!! :thumbsup: :snigger: