Suspension and steering help please

Chat about Trikes
Fatharry

Suspension and steering help please

Post by Fatharry »

Hi All

I have had various trikes over the years from a horrible Yam 900 hardtail which was a really hard ride, then a Wackeys Yam XVS1100 Dragstar with solid axle and 2 shocks which was slightly more comfy ride but you needed to be Arnold Schwarzenneger to get it round a corner with the steering, then had a Boom for a while which was a real treat for ride and drive.

I'm now in the market for another and am looking at a Triumph Rocket 3 with a Ford axle and standard front end.

My question is are these solid axle conversions ok on something this big or should I hang out for independant rear suspension and is the steering really heavy on these?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance :beer:
King Herald

Re: Suspension and steering help please

Post by King Herald »

The heavy steering is because you have bike steering geometry in a trike, which means you have too much trail. Going round corners you're fighting the weight of the trike, centrifugal force, it's trying to turn the bars the opposite way you want to go.
Wider bars is the simple answer, raked yokes or leading link forks the more expensive answer.

I've only ridden a hardtail trike, but I'd rather have IRS than a solid axle on a swing arm arrangement, simply because of the oddball engineering.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Plus it's better for old goats worn out backs
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Fatharry

Post by Fatharry »

Many thanks guys :beer: