Q Plates

Chat about Trikes
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Re: Q Plates

Post by ratwing »

It's humble pie eating time for me and just goes to show what they say about assumptions.
When I wrote 'Note the dates April 2020 and January 1980 shown in the pdf of the leaflet don't match those currently given on the website, it looks like the pdf wasn't changed properly for the April 2022 update', I was wrong.
Today I noticed there's an old Honda in the garage that'll be eligible for Historic taxation soon so I thought I'd ask the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs if there's a definitive answer about black/white plates, it's got to be something they've been asked about before and got this reply:

Many thanks for your message, the situation is that as long as your vehicle was constructed prior to the 1980 date, you can display a black and silver Plate.
Effectively what the story on our website is saying is that to avoid people having to change Numberplates the Federation sought and obtained an exemption.
https://fbhvc.co.uk/news/article/change ... m-01012021

So apologies guys, it turns out unless made between 01/01/1973 and 31/12/1979 you can't change to black/white, you're stuck with reflective.