Fuel tank issues

Looking to Customise your trike? See this section for ideas 'where to' and how.
simonhoskins

Fuel tank issues

Post by simonhoskins »

Just after some advice on replacing or repairing my fuel tank, there's a nasty crack that seems to have gotten bigger as the miles go up.

it had been tiger sealed by the previous owner, but after leaking slightly i scraped it all down and sealed once before and the crack was a lot smaller.
Ive sealed it as in the picture, this time purely to get me the 20 miles home today, but obviously don't want to keep using it as it is.

It's always rattled and knocked badly from the inside too, as if it's two layers sort of thing vibrating against itself.
At certain revs it's very loud and at first I thought it was just a healthy exhaust note exhaust [emoji23], it seems as if its rattled itself apart basically, so pretty much had it I think.

I have zero experience or knowledge on welding but I assume the brackets in the picture have been welded on so it can attach to the frame, and would I need to remove them and attach to a new tank I suppose?.. or give to a bloke who can.

That said, could I basically just buy a random tank from ebay maybe? with the right measurements, and have the brackets welded to that and be good to go[emoji848]?.

Apologies if these sound like obvious or beginner questions lol

Cheers
-SiImageImage

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Fuel tank issues

Post by jinjachin »

Put fuel tank sealer into eBay there is loads on there not sure if it will cure your problem but it's worth a try i had a small leak where I I welded my out let pipe a it cured that.fuel tank are not the easiest things to weld to be honest try it if it don't work you will have to weld it .by the way it goes inside the tank tiger seal will never fix it it's not designed for that use hope that helps
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

I had a similar issue with a Sporty tank, in the same place.

Tried everything, until in the end I used metal epoxy putty and smeared it all around the area.
Worked a treat.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Mad B0B

Post by Mad B0B »

ok what bike is the tank from? your best bet would be to get a new one from eBay and get it re painted to match. if you get the right tank it should have the tabs already installed.

If you try and weld it then you may cause an explosion as the fumes in the tank cant escape very well. Most welders I know wont touch fuel tanks of any description.
It's all about the grin on your face

:rock on:

My Build Log
Ghoulie

Post by Ghoulie »

Had a split in a T120 tank welded years ago - the welder filled it with sand prior to welding. Sealed ano leaky T120 tank - pinholes - with a liquid 2 part epoxy sealer - worked a treat. Epoxy putties are also good to seal splits.
simonhoskins

Post by simonhoskins »

Cheers guys, the engine is a Suzuki gs850 but i think the tank isn't original, as googling shows different tanks for that actual model of bike.

I think it's been adapted to fit the frame specifically so il probably have to get a new random tank and cannibalise the brackets off this.

Does the putty dry hard? As iv used fuel resistant sealant but it eventually cracks through the vibrations

Stix
Part of the Furniture

Post by Stix »

Does the tank have the rubber grommets fitted in the mounting tabs when it is on the bike? If not it would be a good idea to get and fit some, they usually have a short tube in them that the fixing bolt passes through with a large washer on the outside, this allows the tank to be fitted securely whilst isolating it from the vibrations and stopping the cracking.

Stix
Ghoulie

Post by Ghoulie »

Epoxy putty dries / sets rock hard with no chance of cracking
Herby01

Post by Herby01 »

For f***sake don't weld it if you've never done it before! An empty fuel tank is a potential bomb.
You've got to either fill it with water or inert gas, it only takes a tiny bit of fuel in a seam or crack and BABOOM! Your gone!remember petrol doesn't burn, the vapour does.
What's that on the other side of the tank? Is it for a balancing tube? Could you get a tap to fit that side and blank the cracked one off? Failing that I'd say get another off fleabay.
Don't want to be a killjoy but safety first. :thumbsup:
:loco: :crazy: :rotfl: :b :woot: :killing me: :rant: :drink: :shemademe:
simonhoskins

Post by simonhoskins »

Yea I'm not planning on welding anything myself, just wondering on how it's been adapted to fit the frame.

The other side is another outlet that's been blanked off, albeit a male fitment rather than female as if looked at swapping them over maybe.

Think il have to get a fresh tank and find someone how can adapt it to fit.