aerosol painting

Looking to Customise your trike? See this section for ideas 'where to' and how.
rowfab
Part of the Furniture

aerosol painting

Post by rowfab »

I'm in the process of having some fibreglass alterations done to my Boom. I have also started to paint it with a flame design using Rust Oleum rattle cans. I don't want to pay out for a professional job until I am satisfied on the design and look etc. The rattle cans are one way to find out how the bike will look eventually. Obviously the finish is nowhere near that of a proper job, but neither is the cost. Rattle Can Customs is under way !!
I will have a Boom complete leading link front end for sale at some time in the future. Get in touch if interested ( it will be a bloody site more than £200 !!!!)
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: aerosol painting

Post by jinjachin »

What front end you putting on it
AngeloftheAbyss
Part of the Furniture

Post by AngeloftheAbyss »

Remember photos lots and lots of photos :thumbsup:
Freedom has a price, the cost is buried in the ground :nono:
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

Don't spray with the cans cold keep them in the house so they are room temperature :thumbsup:
UGLYMICK
Part of the Furniture

Post by UGLYMICK »

mate of ours did that with rattle cans and when he did it properly 3 week later, after a very good prep, the rattle can paint started to react with the professional 2k paint and lacquer and the water base art work that had been used, worked out very costly for him, it all had to be striped back to metal and gelcoat and start again with isolator, filler, high build, under coat, base silver, base copper, red candy base ink lacquer 4 coats , the paint art air brush job(14 different water base colours +2k lacquer on each water base colour that 14 coats of 2k lacquer, and 8 coats of top lacquer plus all the rubbing down and wet and dry paper,,,, so all in all he did the job twice over, all over a £10 rattle can sh!t job to see what it would look like
PS we now call him rattle can
(he now take a picture of the trike or bike put it on his computer and the uses a program paint)
Last edited by UGLYMICK on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rowfab
Part of the Furniture

Post by rowfab »

jinjachin wrote:What front end you putting on it
TL 1000
rowfab
Part of the Furniture

Post by rowfab »

UGLYMICK wrote:mate of ours did that with rattle cans and when he did it properly 3 week later, after a very good prep, the rattle can paint started to react with the professional 2k paint and lacquer and the water base art work that had been used, worked out very costly for him, it all had to be striped back to metal and gelcoat and start again with isolator, filler, high build, under coat, base silver, red candy base, the paint art job(14 different water base colours +2k lacquer on each water base colour that 14 coats of 2k lacquer , and 8 coats of top lacquer so he did the job twice, all over a £10 rattle can sh!t job to see what it would look like
PS we now call him rattle can
(he now take a picture of the trike or bike put it on his computer and the uses a program paint)
I''m having a new dummy fibreglass tank made and am using the original to experiment on. The final paint job to be done by a professional on the replacement tank.
rowfab
Part of the Furniture

Post by rowfab »

jinjachin wrote:Don't spray with the cans cold keep them in the house so they are room temperature :thumbsup:
I put rattle cans in a bucket of hot water.
Herby01

Post by Herby01 »

As the Boom is fiberglass and the original paint is a gel coat in the moulding process make sure the surface is absolutely spotless and completely free of release agent cos it will give you hell if there's any left on it! I repainted my dummy tank after my helpful son dropped the body on it, it took me something like 7 goes to get it to an acceptable finish that didn't have too many fish eyes in it :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
:loco: :crazy: :rotfl: :b :woot: :killing me: :rant: :drink: :shemademe: