Essex V6 direct drive trike.

Looking to Customise your trike? See this section for ideas 'where to' and how.
Haggisbiker

Essex V6 direct drive trike.

Post by Haggisbiker »

Hi,
New here so hello to you all, been into bikes since I was a kid but never built nor owned a trike but giving it some serious consideration and need some help and advice.

My plan is to use what I have laying around so an old Mercedes with the om606 diesel engine, jag irs backend along with an assessment of stuff from years of building and playing around with bikes.

I like the idea of a short trike and the possibility of direct drive so no gearbox / autobox keeping it short, I have seen pics on the internet of a black with yellow wheels trike, think it is running an Essex v6 in a direct drive set-up anybody know the builder of the trike or just how it was done to allow direct drive but obviously it needs some sort of disengagement system or it would take off as soon as started.

Thanks for any help or pointers on this.

Haggisbiker.
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Re: Essex V6 direct drive trike.

Post by 1130cc »

Was wondering how it would work, and then read about the torque converter, with adjustable fins, in a Koenigsegg Regera.
Not something you would use, but very sexy :)

https://www.caradvice.com.au/421958/how ... explained/
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by jinjachin »

try having a look at boss hog motorcycles i think they do direct drive on there bike
AngeloftheAbyss
Part of the Furniture

Post by AngeloftheAbyss »

I think you mean Boss Hoss, have you been watching the Dukes of Hazard lately Jinj πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Freedom has a price, the cost is buried in the ground :nono:
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

AngeloftheAbyss wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:10 pm I think you mean Boss Hoss, have you been watching the Dukes of Hazard lately Jinj πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
just the daisy duke parts :hoofle:
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

jinjachin wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:19 pm
AngeloftheAbyss wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:10 pm I think you mean Boss Hoss, have you been watching the Dukes of Hazard lately Jinj πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
just the daisy duke parts she could direct drive me any day :hoofle:
AngeloftheAbyss
Part of the Furniture

Post by AngeloftheAbyss »

jinjachin wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:25 pm
jinjachin wrote: ↑Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:19 pm
just the daisy duke parts she could direct drive me any day :hoofle:
:hoofle: :hoofle: :hoofle:
Freedom has a price, the cost is buried in the ground :nono:
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Boss Hoss cycles are belt drive - with a HUGE rear 'sprocket' so I assume something lower than 3:1 to replicate the 1:1 normal gearbox output and normalish rear axle ratio. For a bike their engines have colossal torque so manage with only one gear, they are hardly a sport bike!
With a std rear axle/diff, the propshaft could have a Ford input shaft welded into the nose that would fit into a normal clutch allowing manual operation but whether the V6 will have sufficient torque for one gear operation - who knows? Could you live with a gearbox output that bolts directly to the diff - it'll make life easier IMO?
Haggisbiker

Post by Haggisbiker »

Thanks for all the pointers..obviously some sort of way of doing it, I saw one years ago in the mags but it was years ago and my memory isn't as sharp as it used to!