Cop bike-trike lower fairing

Looking to Customise your trike? See this section for ideas 'where to' and how.
XLerate

Cop bike-trike lower fairing

Post by XLerate »

Hi y'all!

Sorry this is sorta longish... I plan to trike my '96 KZ1000P-15. Still in the planning stages and including some pics here to give an idea of what direction I'm going. I don't much care for Harley's in general but I've always loved their funky old Servicar trike design, plus it's real practical for one up long distance touring.

The KZ1000P-15 has an upper fairing as shown, otherwise it's a pretty much vintage style, tank, fenders & all. Will stretch the frame a bit to stuff in a 1.5-2 liter 3 cyl diesel, transverse with 6 speed gearbox behind, chain drive to rear. Change angle on front of home made metal-reinforced fiberglass Servicar-style box on rear for slightly better aeros [more like the vintage Indian models], but keeping with classic vintage look & separate full fenders.

Thinking of colder weather riding, especially on long trips, I wonder about a lower fairing to give leg protection? I was involved with the Honda GP bikes in the 60's with beautiful full fairings, far too much for a build like this. Looking for ideas of something for better leg protection.

Saw some fairing pieces that were almost like a section of a cylinder standing upright, a rounded half-tube & just covering legs. That's a maybe, still allowing airflow to radiator. Maybe cast up something in fiberglass to attach to upper and just for covering my legs something like that.

Ideas or suggestions? Other than see a good shrink....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daddy moose

Post by daddy moose »

im loving your plans ,and think along the same lines as you ,i personally wouldnt go so big with the bak box. chilly calafornia ????now yer aving a laugh:killing me::respek:
Willgofar
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Willgofar »

Hi XLerate. i spotted this on evil-bay over here. is this the type of fairing your looking at? . if so, there must be a few cheap 60,s fairings state side that could be altered to suit your plans.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/old-motor-cyc ... 35b8b33f90
ravnali
Part of the Furniture
Location: Linton-on-Ouse North Yorkshire, right in't Vale of York sithee!

leg protection

Post by ravnali »

Yeah I see what you mean for leg protection, used to be some 3 piece fairings around (handlebar fairing & leg shields) called bikini fairings I think (3 piece?) try looking up images of motorcycle leg shields you might get some ideas!
Al, aka Daft Vader
:crazy::swars::crazy:

And...if a first you don't suceed....hit it with a bigger hammer!
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

daddy moose wrote:im loving your plans ,and think along the same lines as you ,i personally wouldnt go so big with the bak box. chilly calafornia ????now yer aving a laugh:killing me::respek:
Yes sunny California here in the high desert we got a solid snow last November 5th! I live on the sideof a mountain & most days the wind is blowing directly at me at about 20-30 mph/30-45k so add in a temp of only 20*F and it's more than chilly!

I like the classic style of the box & on mine the whole box will be functional, as a real box of the whole dimensions. Those old Harley boxes aren't what they appear. About 2/3 of their box is just metal work around the outsides and the actual box is only 1/3 of what you see.

I figure that will be a great way to stow my gear for long trips or for quick grocery trips etc. The Indian model's box had better lines, with a more angled rake on the front instead of so upright like the Harley's. That's what I plan.
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

Willgofar wrote:Hi XLerate. i spotted this on evil-bay over here. is this the type of fairing your looking at? . if so, there must be a few cheap 60,s fairings state side that could be altered to suit your plans.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/old-motor-cyc ... 35b8b33f90

Hey that looks pretty good! My upper fairing [like in that cop bike pic] is in good shape so adding some lowers like that Ebay fairing has just might do it. I can lay it up out of fiberglass pretty easy. For my needs quite a bit wider I think, at least 40-45cm/16"-18" for better leg protection.

And thanks Ravnali, sometimes it's all in the wording: leg shields instead of fairing, I'll look for that. The lowers off a 3 piece bikini might be what I'm looking for, will see.