brake conversion issue

Looking to Customise your trike? See this section for ideas 'where to' and how.
nobby355

brake conversion issue

Post by nobby355 »

hi guys

I'm new to here so be gentle with me. :niceone: I've just sold my fzr600 and bought a kawasaki voyager trike. I had an issue with a half shaft so thought I'd convert the brakes to disc whilst it was stripped. Here starts the issue(s). It has a reliant axle so I purchased all the kit to convert them. Now I have just received the conversion plates and they are too small!! any ideas? the bolt holes on my axle measure 2 3/4" but the plate bolt holesare about 2 1/2" :hellfire:

please help
Willgofar
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Willgofar »

Hi Nobby355. welcome to the forum. pop over to the New Members section and stick in a wee intro.(if you havn't already. i know admin can be a bit slow at times) you could get lost here.dont know the answer to your axle prob. but the answer will be along shortly. :respek:
pedd

Post by pedd »

lo there fella there are a good few threads on the subject :)

Have you got a pic or a link to the plates you bought. Depending on your axle there can even be only three bolts. usually you can just re drill the holes to fit
Marc....Proud Rmmcc Member

R.i.P Brian (Mog).............missing you buddy
levvin

Post by levvin »

nobby355 wrote:hi guys

I'm new to here so be gentle with me. :niceone: I've just sold my fzr600 and bought a kawasaki voyager trike. I had an issue with a half shaft so thought I'd convert the brakes to disc whilst it was stripped. Here starts the issue(s). It has a reliant axle so I purchased all the kit to convert them. Now I have just received the conversion plates and they are too small!! any ideas? the bolt holes on my axle measure 2 3/4" but the plate bolt holesare about 2 1/2" :hellfire:

please help
Hiya Nobster....:niceone:

i've done disc conversion, and have typed a thread on here titled 'how to disc convert a pig axle'...search it!

regards to your plates...are you sure your axle isnt off a KITTEN? cos this will be different to robin/rialto layout...

would it be possible to elongate one mounting hole 1\4"?

i assume you have bought everything needed to disc convert...

1/ vauxhall nova front discs..drilled and slotted prefferred..£17.00 pair on ebay
2/ Golf mk 1/2 rear caliper carriers..NOT mk 3/4..will NOT fit..doglegged.
3/ Golf mk 1/2/3/4 rear calipers...mk 4 best as alloy and smarter..£97 pair new, ebay(beware used golf calipers...bleed screws sieze solid!)
4/ Golf short rear handbrake cables x2
5/ adaptor plates £10
6/ m10x1.0mm brake fittings/banjo bolts for calipers(not 3/8" like on reliant)
7/ A NEW MASTER CYLINDER...bike sized ones DO NOT WORK well if at all with golf calipers..i have landrover clutch cylinder 3/4"bore...works well
8/ if you want AWESOME stopping power, team it up to a remote servo system..@£70 ebay for a servo...did mine AND IT GENUINELY SAVED MY ASS within days of fitting.

Get piccies of your axle, plate etc on ere and i'll see if i can sort you out chap.

Lev:biker:
nobby355

Brakes

Post by nobby355 »

Hi Lev

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have all the bits needed as you suggest. It could be that I have a kitten axle, dam ( not that I'm adverse to a bit. Of pussy you understand :naughty:) there is not enough space on the plates to re-drill the holes. Would. Anyone know where I may be able to get some plates or have I got to get some made special?

Thanks all for the replys. Keep up the great work/site

Cheers:respek:
nobby355

Pics of plates

Post by nobby355 »

Sorry can't post URL yet. Need to make some more posts
pedd

Post by pedd »

levvin wrote: Golf mk 1/2 rear caliper carriers..NOT mk 3/4..will NOT fit..doglegged.
think you got mixed up lev, you can use mk3 carriers as thats what ive got :naughty: its the mk4 that are no good as they are dog legged
Marc....Proud Rmmcc Member

R.i.P Brian (Mog).............missing you buddy
nobby355

reliant axle

Post by nobby355 »

working from my ipad just now, the wife has taken over the laptop, so will post pics tomorrow from work.

cheers all:respek:
levvin

Post by levvin »

pedd wrote:think you got mixed up lev, you can use mk3 carriers as thats what ive got :naughty: its the mk4 that are no good as they are dog legged
Youre right Pedd...mk1 thro' to 3 are ok...the old steel caliper types.

They look FLAT when viewed side on..the newer type are doglegged side on, and have a cast appearance...and DONT FIT!!:caveman:

I know...i tried...:loco:

you will probably need to put a 2mm spacer washer between your carriers and the conversion plates also, to square them up over the discs,

and i had to dress the carrier slightly with a thin grinding disc to accept my slightly wider 12.5 nova discs.

Lev:biker:
levvin

Post by levvin »

Heres a PDF of a kitten.....

[ATTACH]7603[/ATTACH]

oops..wrong one...

[ATTACH]7604[/ATTACH]

sh!t! try again.....

[ATTACH]7602[/ATTACH]

does yours look like this?

LEV:naughty:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.