reverse /parking brake query

Help needed & advice given..try here
johngee

reverse /parking brake query

Post by johngee »

on my goldwing trike a previous owner has fitted a caravan motor mover to the left hand rear now although this works very well as a reverse can i also use it as a parking bake for the mot as it only has to operate on one rear wheel ,you can not move the tike when it is engaged and also there is no provision for a handbrake on the axle
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: reverse /parking brake query

Post by Kawazuki »

Unless it uses purely mechanical operation it doesn't qualify as a hand / emergency brake.
johngee

Post by johngee »

ok thank you for your thoughts so why does an electric handbrake qualify as that is both electric and mechanical as is the motor mover and surely it is a parking brake not emergency
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

What axle is fitted, most unusual to not have a parking brake
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
johngee

Post by johngee »

the trike is an american import and was converted in texas i have tried to do some research and i know the axle is ford mustang ,i have had the drums off and it seems that the handbrake items have been removed a for whatever reason i have searched but cannot find any parts for it it seems that in the usa a parking brake is not mantatory on a trike
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

You should be able to get the parts required if you have the axle info.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
johngee

Post by johngee »

i know they have the parts in the usa and they now do the complete brake assembly but at $465 plus import duty and postage i would rather find another way i will have a word with the mot tester and see what he thinks
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

johngee wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:01 pm ok thank you for your thoughts so why does an electric handbrake qualify as that is both electric and mechanical as is the motor mover and surely it is a parking brake not emergency
Because although electricity enables the operation, the actual braking is all mechanical. Most will apply brake if engine off or car door opened. Cars fitted as such are type approved so system usually not approved on alternative vehicles!
lepchaun

Post by lepchaun »

iv seen a few import g/w1500 without hand brake they use the reverse gear how they get it past a mot i dont know as i had a hand brake on both wheels on my 1500gw
johngee

Post by johngee »

as i said my trike was converted in 1988 and the axle used is a 1985 ford mustang gt i dont know why they would remove the handbrake parts ,but it has given me a problem if others have passed using the reverse i hope mine will as it is electricly engaged but held in place mechanicly i will post how i get on mot wise ,a couple of small jobs and we will see