Reliant Regal Chain Drive Convertion

Help needed & advice given..try here
panheadpete
Part of the Furniture

Post by panheadpete »

A truly fascinating article Zak; I saw trikes with this done in the Seventies and wondered what was involved, thanks for taking the time to post all that.
One thing I was always curious about - how does the diff survive all the grit and water that the chain throws into it? I always thought an M-Z style chain enclosure would have been desirable.
Cheers,
Pete
xjs10
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by xjs10 »

Top thread Zak....you should have been a teacher.....I might have paid more attention to you when I was at school....:respek:
zakboy

Post by zakboy »

panheadpete wrote:A truly fascinating article Zak; I saw trikes with this done in the Seventies and wondered what was involved, thanks for taking the time to post all that.
One thing I was always curious about - how does the diff survive all the grit and water that the chain throws into it? I always thought an M-Z style chain enclosure would have been desirable.
Cheers,
Pete
Cheers Pete, any prob with sh!t and grit geting in there is a good point,iv never wanted a chain drive trike so have never used this convertion on a trike my self so dont know if there is a prob, if there is then i dont think it would be to difficult to fabricate some kinda of guard around the chain holes to help to deflect grit and crap. you can up grade this convertion by fabricating a oil tank around the planet gears on to the crown wheel witch would also stop any grit and crap geting in to the main gubings.... but that will have to be for another day.

but good point Pete would be intresting to hear from any one who has or still use's this convertion to see if there is a prob to be had

this convertion could prob be used as a belt drive axle as well by just using a pully instead of a sprocket
Give me the strength in life to except the things i can not change
zakboy

Post by zakboy »

xjs10 wrote:Top thread Zak....you should have been a teacher.....I might have paid more attention to you when I was at school....:respek:
lol cheers xjs10, i just think its best to try and show these things in a simple way with lots of pictures with a thought in mind that there may be a compleat novice who may want to follow this
sharky2020
Part of the Furniture

Post by sharky2020 »

Way to go Zakboy yet another good write-up never fails to make it look easy .:respek:
:shout: Loud enough to scare small children at 200yds :flipa:
zakboy

Post by zakboy »

cheers sharky, hope it will be usefull to some one out there
yammy1300
V8 Killer

Post by yammy1300 »

Stand up and take a bow Kev, brilliant thread and one I can even understand, is there no end to your talents ? :)
:cooldevil: A trike is only restricted by your imagination
zakboy

Post by zakboy »

yammy1300 wrote:Stand up and take a bow Kev, brilliant thread and one I can even understand, is there no end to your talents ? :)
LOL Dave cheers mate.
Rockabillygoaty
Part of the Furniture

Post by Rockabillygoaty »

That's a top description for us to follow m8!
Don't spos you have details that you can pass on of the people you get the cogs made up from?

:respek::respek:

The Goat:
Always be yourself!
Don't ask for too much,e
Accept what your offered,
Appreciate what you get.
zakboy

Post by zakboy »

Thanks Rockabillygoaty, i will try to get a link posted has soon as i see the young lad this axle belongs to has he ordered the sprocket for the convertion, but there are loads on the net that will make sprockets up to your spec