Reliant Regal Chain Drive Convertion

Help needed & advice given..try here
zakboy
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by zakboy »

once you have removed the ring gear you will be left with this and this is the original regal diff so this will be now be the same as the one you have removed

Give me the strength in life to except the things i can not change
zakboy

Post by zakboy »

ok at some point you will need to order a standered motorcycle chain 33 tooth sprocket with a center hole of 100mm diam there are loads of engineering firms that will make these up for you this came from a firm in shefield and cost £30, when it arives it will have the 100mm center hole and the teeth the smaller holes will not be there as this sprocket has alredy been fitted and i have removed it to show as an exsample

zakboy

Post by zakboy »

ok in the top picture you can see my pen pointing at a lip on the diff you can now fit the center hole in the sprocket over the bearing on the diff and down to the lip and with a bit of a tap a round the sprocket it will go over the lip and should be a nice tight fit, but dont forget the smaller holes a round the sprocket are not there at this stage

zakboy

Post by zakboy »

if you now turn the diff up the other way you will have the 8 holes in the crown wheel to use as template to mark up your holes on the sprocket to drill out the holes for your bolts to bolt the sprocket to the crown wheel you should be able to do this on a piilar drill or even a hand drill
zakboy

Post by zakboy »

ok the rest tomorrow nearly done now

EDIT....Brilliant job Zak...This is now a permanent "sticky" :)

zakboy

Post by zakboy »

Cheers Rik
zakboy

Post by zakboy »

Ok if we just go back to the picture above once you have drilled out your holes in the sprocket you can tap out and thread the holes in the crown wheel the bolts will go in from the sprocket side of the diff, or you can just drill the holes and use bolts straight though the sprocket side and a nut on the other side but use mushroom head bolts if you use hexigan head bolts there heads may be a little long and they may just skim the ribs in the side casting when the crown wheel is turning if they do you will need to just grind a little off the ribs in the side castings or you can add some more shims to the diff insert on the diff that goes in the bearing in the side casting just to bring the diff a little further away from the ribs

ribs in the side castings

shims on the bearing insert

zakboy

Post by zakboy »

Next job will be to cut two sections out of the center casting one each side of the pinion casting make sure you cut the sections out between the bolt holes in the casting so you still have all your bolting positions in tacked for the diff housing you can use a cuting disc in your grinder for this, these sections will be the holes for your chain to run through

zakboy

Post by zakboy »

The diff housing can now be put back togeather with the now chain drive diff in place to make sure it is all moving freely

zakboy

Post by zakboy »

Ok well that is the convertion, but you will still have to shorten the near side tube and drive shaft to bring your now rear sprocket in line with your front sprocket on your bike engine

The bearings inside the diff are of the sealed type so will not requre matenance, im sure you would need to keep the planet gears greased so would need to pack them with grease oil every so often you would be able to put a grease gun nozle directly in to the old oil filler plug in the center of the diff casting directly on to the planet gears and you would also need a chain oil feeder to keep your chain oiled