help with brakes needed

Help needed & advice given..try here
lepchaun
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: help with brakes needed

Post by lepchaun »

burkie the ratio of your pedal will b wrong extend it by about 2/3 inch I had to do it with my cx 500
Burkie

Post by Burkie »

Thanks Lepchaun, sorry for being thick šŸ¤Ŗ do you mean the length of the rod pedal to master cylinder or or the length of pedal below the pivot point ?. Iā€™ve changed master and slave cylinders and put a T in the brake pipes post master cylinder.......the pedal feels solid but the brakes donā€™t hold / stop........I really appreciate your help, Burkie
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

So the trike brake saga continues.Burkie i recently had the same problem with my vw trike rear brakes & found that Having 15mm bore slave cylinders fitted with a landrover 5/8 bore master was the answer for me,saying that the pedal is still hard but does stop me.One other thing to check is the slave cylinders are sitting flush with your backplate as i found with mine when you tightened the securing bolt it pulled the cylinder out of it's locating hole slightly by about 1/8 this caused the brake pad to push on the drum at a slight angle which will reduce your braking by 30% & will cause your shoes to rub on the drums i got round this by grinding of the access metal of the brake shoe on the outer edge, bit of a bodge i know but it worked.Hope this helps.
The older i get the earlier it seems to get late.
gorbee01279

Post by gorbee01279 »

Sorry Burkie, just noticed your using a reliant axle so my input will be useless to you....
The older i get the earlier it seems to get late.
Burkie

Post by Burkie »

Gorbee01279, thanks for the reply and everything helps, Iā€™ve been reading up on pedal ratio as suggested by Lepchaun and am thinking it might be my problem ( ā€˜cause Iā€™ve tried everything else šŸ¤” ). I put the replacement master cylinder where it best fitted, thinking that pressure was the requirement. Like you I used a Landrover cylinder for fluid volume and pressure, maybe I should be thinking about ā€œleverageā€. Again, thanks for helping. Cheers, Burkie
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

This is mine. The foot section you push on is 250mm centre to the pivot centre. And 47 mm pivot centre to the brake cylinder pivot.
And through it looks all wrong it works great. I can look the rear wheels at 40 mph ok.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Burkie

Post by Burkie »

Lepchaun, I have been reading up on pedal ratio and think that you have pointed me in the right direction thanks..........Burkie šŸ™
Burkie

Post by Burkie »

Deep Diver, thank you.......Iā€™m beginning to understand a problem that Iā€™ve lived with for years.......photograph worth a thousand words.......looks like I have my fulcrum in the wrong place !! ......no pun intended. šŸ™ Burkie
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Usual 'recommended' pedal ratio's are between 6:1 and 7:1. Once that is sorted the master cyl. dia needs matching to the slave cyl. to achieve correct pedal pressure / feel and balance foot force with braking efficiency (unless you have a servo fitted!)
lepchaun

Post by lepchaun »

there no such thing as a stupid question only stupid answeres :hide: :hoofle: :hoofle: :hoofle:
no problem burkie were here to help when we can
a of people changed there master cyc but im still running on the original bike 1 and I can lock my wheels if I stand on them