Oil advice and Recommendation

Help needed & advice given..try here
oilman

Re: Oil advice and Recommendation

Post by oilman »

Hi

I would go with a 10w-40, unless it is using a lot of oil.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-782-10w-40.aspx

The best oils there are the Silkolene Pro 4 and Comp 4, Motul 300v, Red Line, Amsoil, Shell Advance Ultra 4 and Castrol Power 1 Racing. The Motul 5100, Castrol Power 1, Shell Advance VSX and Silkolene Super 4 are good cheaper alternatives.

If it is burning oil, a 10w-50 or 15w-50 might be a better option.

Cheers

Tim
Use the code TRIKE and get 10% Club Discount
View Opie Oils Current Offers Here > >
oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
phone: 01209 202944
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

On the 22nd January i asked .....
"Is there any chance that you could make your prices a bit more competitive for us, compared with Halfords for example ?"

your reply was.....
"Leave it with us, will see what we can do.

cheers
oilman"

Have you managed to sort us out a reasonable discount on your prices for us yet ?
oilman

Post by oilman »

Aztec wrote:On the 22nd January i asked .....
"Is there any chance that you could make your prices a bit more competitive for us, compared with Halfords for example ?"

your reply was.....
"Leave it with us, will see what we can do.

cheers
oilman"

Have you managed to sort us out a reasonable discount on your prices for us yet ?
Unfortunately we cannot compete with Halfords on the Gunk products. They obviously buy huge amounts and get big discounts, where as we do not deal with Gunk direct and only have a small supply. If this ever changes then we will let you know.

Cheers
oilman
rowfab
Part of the Furniture

Post by rowfab »

Could you tell me if Quantum Platinum 10/40 oil is suitable for my 1600 aircooled VW engine. Standard spec (no remote filter) Road use only
Thanks
oilman

Post by oilman »

Hi

It might be. I don't deal with that oil, so I do not know the specs it meets, but it might be a little thin anyway, leading to low oil pressure.

Cheers

Tim
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Hi oilman, my trike is a Yamaha Dragstar 1100A Classic. 2003, air cooled V-twin with no engine mods & all road use. I have no idea what oil is in it at the moment as it was serviced last year by the dealer I bought it off. I used to have a Harley & noticed when I switched from mineral toil to synthetic, the engine noise increased considerably. When I changed back to mineral oil, the noise was much reduced. What oil would you recommend for the Yamaha, & are there problems running synthetic oil in air cooled engines? Cheers for your help, Bob.
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
oilman

Post by oilman »

Hi Bob

Some synthetics do not absorb sound as well as mineral oils, so it might not sound like it's doing a better job, but it should be protecting better. Ester based synthetics tend to absorb sound better than mineral oils, as well as giving the best protection.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-782-10w-40.aspx

The best oils there are the Silkolene Pro 4, Motul 300v, Red Line, Shell Advance Ultra 4 and Castrol Power 1 Racing. The Motul 7100 and 5100, Castrol Power 1, Millers ZSS, Shell Advance VSX and Silkolene Comp 4 and Super 4 are good cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Many thanks for that Tim. I'll be changing the oil shortly & i'll use your recommendations. Bob.
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

rowfab wrote:Could you tell me if Quantum Platinum 10/40 oil is suitable for my 1600 aircooled VW engine. Standard spec (no remote filter) Road use only
Thanks
Here's a quote from VW Heritage

Mono-grade vs. Multi-grade

In the early days VW originally specified straight mono-grade oil for the Beetle engine. Remember, this was a long time ago, and most manufacturers specified mono-grade oils because multi-grade oils were in their infancy, and frankly they weren’t that good.

The grade of oil was specified as straight SAE 30 for most general driving conditions, with SAE 20 specified for winter or colder climates, and SAE 40 specified for high summer or warmer climates.

The introduction of new oil standards in the 1970s brought the advent of better quality multi-grade oils, with the result that in 1975 VW specified multi-grade oils for all new air-cooled vehicles, and recommended that older vehicles also follow the new specifications. The recommendation was for oils of SAE15W-40 or SAE20W-50 or similar for European climates. All air-cooled engines since this time, up to the latest Brazilian/Mexican engines, specify a multi-grade oil.

Hope this helps :respek:
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

Hi could you recommend an oil for a reliant 850 engine please, I understand the general advice is for 20/50 but wondered if a lower viscosity oil 5/40 might reduce startup engine wear. Thanks