Boom Gearbox problem/ID

Help needed & advice given..try here
feathersmcgraw

Boom Gearbox problem/ID

Post by feathersmcgraw »

Hi all, hope you are all ok. Sorry i haven't been on for a while, work seems to have taken over everything at the moment & I just don't seem to get the time to visit the site.
However, I have encountered a serious problem that i am hoping someone could shed some light on for me.
Having recently got the Boom on the road, everything seems OK with the gear shift and gear selection until about 20 minutes into a journey when I lose the ability to select any or most gears. After leaving the trike to cool down for a while, everything seems fine again until normal temperatures are reached and again, gear selection is non existent.
Having decided to drop the gearbox oil, I was met with a whole host of fine metal particles (mainly bronze but with shiny steel/aluminium) so I am reasonably confident that this the cause of the problem.
Could someone more au fait with this type of gearbox please tell me what type/model it is as I will need to order lots of parts for the rebuild and I am just a little confused with the amount of types and models there are out there.
Gearbox casting number is 13301108
Serial number is AH2474655
Thank you.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Boom Gearbox problem/ID

Post by Deep Diver »

Check your gearbox for some number and letter codes. You will require this for parts id. Or you could do a service exchange gearbox from "The engine shop"
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

Deep Diver wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:29 pm Check your gearbox for some number and letter codes. You will require this for parts id. Or you could do a service exchange gearbox from "The engine shop"
Its an AH gearbox case, however Boom change the gearing inside of them, ive got a VW Boom gearbox in the workshop awaiting lots of funds so i can get it fixed too.

AH 1500/1600 4.125 IRS from 8/68 - 8/72
feathersmcgraw

Post by feathersmcgraw »

Thanks for the replies guys.
I'm sure the problem is mainly bushes so I will try to source these along with the seal and gasket sets.
Could anyone recommend a good repair manual for reference? as I would assume that there will need to be a lot of setting up/end float and backlash to go through.