Axle advice please

Help needed & advice given..try here
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: Axle advice please

Post by Kawazuki »

jinjachin wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:39 pm I've never seen one of those before
Pretty much every bike engine not designed as a shaftie will have one - have to turn output 90 degrees somehow!
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

Kawazuki wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:04 pm
jinjachin wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:39 pm I've never seen one of those before
Pretty much every bike engine not designed as a shaftie will have one - have to turn output 90 degrees somehow!
Surely every bike engine that was not designed as a shaftie will be direct drive off the "gearbox" primary drive.
Only bike engines that have been modified to become a shaftie would use a bevel drive, but then that would be obvious :D

Don't think you would need to turn it through 90 degrees either.
Just run a short chain/belt from the existing final drive to a cog on the input on the bevel drive.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
swirl
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by swirl »

I have a couple apart, mostly suzuki's, gsx1100g and gs650g which have a tapered bevel drive bolted where the sprocket would go on a chain drive engine, then turned through 90 degrees to shaft output, the likes of th gsx1100g or z1100 shaftys can be converted to chain I believe
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

1130cc wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:41 am Surely every bike engine that was not designed as a shaftie will be direct drive off the "gearbox" primary drive.
Only bike engines that have been modified to become a shaftie would use a bevel drive, but then that would be obvious :D

Don't think you would need to turn it through 90 degrees either.
Just run a short chain/belt from the existing final drive to a cog on the input on the bevel drive.
I'm a bit confused ! Most bike engines have a crankshaft that is transverse to the front/back axis of a bike along with all the gearbox shafts so suiting a chain drive! If the engine has been designed for shaft drive the bevel will be integral with the cases and non removable. The above description is still turning the drive through 90 degrees !

From higher up - a solid axle can be made strong enough although it would be a seriously bad idea and would make turning corners virtually impossible. GoKarts get round this issue with small dia tyres that are forced to break traction at slow speeds or via wheel spin / slip through drifting through corners - good fun in something that weighs 50kg - maybe not so weighing 3 or 4 times as much!
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

This is not a good idea. Loads of people have built chain drive trikes, but the have either had machines and the skills to use them, have bought the bevel gearboxes, or have paid quite a bit for the chain drive axles (with differentials included).
To even think about using a solid axle is madness.