Trike Wiring

Help needed & advice given..try here
Jody

Trike Wiring

Post by Jody »

Does anyone know if there is a trike wiring diagram I can follow?
I have a Reliant trike, and the wiring is an absolute nightmare. counted over 30 wires under the dummy fuel tank.
Half the lights don't work, and theyve followed the Reliant method for earths, a tone of black wires leading to one point, then attached to a piece of cooker wire, but none of the other wiring uses the same colours of a Reliant Regal, Robin, Rialto or Ant.
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Re: Trike Wiring

Post by 1130cc »

Welcome to the wonderful world of trike projects.

My fuse bank is housed in a Chinese takeaway box.
Everything behind the rider's seat is green, and everything in front is various random colours, sometimes changing colour multiple times enroute.

You can find some base wiring examples here - https://www.uktriker.uk/technical-docum ... lectrical/
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
King Herald

Post by King Herald »

You could make your own diagram. Draw your major components on a big sheet of paper, headlights, taillight, engine, switches, in approx the layout they are on the trike. Then pencil the wiring in that's required, a piece at a time.

I always set out to use minimal wires whenever I've wired a vehicle, but there's always loads by the time everything I'd forgotten has been added and it looks like spaghetti.

If you use a separate fuses for each circuit, and relays for lights etc, it soon gets a bit crazy. You could use a single main fuse, and LED lights so relays aren't needed etc.
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

My bike and trike have separate ground wires to each lamp and device all coming back to a single point. To me that is preferable to using the frame.

Now I can't help you with the actual wiring but I did see a great example on here once where every wire was red and it took the shortest route from point A to point B. It looked like a load of washing lines.

As above though, draw out what you have and use different colours that give a credence to what it does.