Brake adaption for 2006 Rewaco RF1 - GT

Help needed & advice given..try here
Chappers

Brake adaption for 2006 Rewaco RF1 - GT

Post by Chappers »

Hi. I'm looking at a manual Rewaco RF1 - GT but, as a right below knee amputee, I need the brake moving from the right foot to the handlebars. The dealer has asked someone who has said they don't think it's possible. Does anyone know if that's right? Seems so strange when Rewaco sell adapted trikes but maybe it has to be done during manufacture?
King Herald

Re: Brake adaption for 2006 Rewaco RF1 - GT

Post by King Herald »

You could use a vacuum operated brake booster, like cars do, but operated from the handlebar MC. That should work well enough.
I have no idea exactly what parts you'd need but I'm sure it can be done.
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

i would contact the national association of disabled bikers they will point you to someone who can help i know a rider with one hand who has brake and clutch on the same side
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

This is one the Trike guy had for sale last year. You can see the brake lever on the handle bars and the booster.

I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Right there is another way to do this. Have a left hand brake pedal and mounting brackets made so the brake pedal sits beside the clutch, this can be mounted on the front crash bars. With both on the left hand side of the trike, you can then use your good leg. This can connect across to the right hand side to operate the brakes via rods and linkage etc.
I've seen this on a motorbike where the brake and gear pedals were on the same side.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
King Herald

Post by King Herald »

Deep Diver wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:51 am Right there is another way to do this. Have a left hand brake pedal and mounting brackets made so the brake pedal sits beside the clutch, this can be mounted on the front crash bars. With both on the left hand side of the trike, you can then use your good leg. This can connect across to the right hand side to operate the brakes via rods and linkage etc.
I've seen this on a motorbike where the brake and gear pedals were on the same side.
That makes it a bit hard to slow down and stop, as it will still be in gear while it's braking.
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

Erm thinking out loud.......Foot brake with bias valve to the left, hand clutch with booster or not onto left handlebar or right handlebar depending on which side the gear change is on. there you go clear as mud ........Oh last minute thought...fit the clutch lever to the gearstick. :hide: :triker:
iain.ross

Post by iain.ross »

Hi just seen your post I have a rewaco rft 1 1.6 turbo and I have the servo kit on it rewaco it was about £3.500 just the one level on the bars and works great as I use wheelchair
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

King Herald wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:10 am
Deep Diver wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:51 am Right there is another way to do this. Have a left hand brake pedal and mounting brackets made so the brake pedal sits beside the clutch, this can be mounted on the front crash bars. With both on the left hand side of the trike, you can then use your good leg. This can connect across to the right hand side to operate the brakes via rods and linkage etc.
I've seen this on a motorbike where the brake and gear
pedals were on the same side.
This is a similar arrangement with the trike I am about to start rebuilding but on the rhs. Looks like robin clutch and brake pedals mounted on front crash bar, the brake pedal which is higher than the clutch pedal pushes the clutch pedal in at the same time when you brake, a rod across from brake pedal pushes the clutch in. Master cylinder seems to operate both front and rear brakes, unsure if their is any bias though

That makes it a bit hard to slow down and stop, as it will still be in gear while it's braking.