Clutch actuator conversion

Help needed & advice given..try here
Barneyb

Clutch actuator conversion

Post by Barneyb »

Short story back problems when using left leg on clutch, I have seen some great conversions on here, but wondered what solenoid to order. Its going to be attached to the clutch peddle linkage and I have seen a 70w 35mm stroke 1kg solenoid i think might do the job. Its to operate a standard reliant Robin gearbox clutch and wondered if anyone has done something similar and what rated solenoid they used. I haven't received the trike yet but was thinking of ordering the parts beforehand. The electronics part will be no problem and I will use pwm to lower solenoid heat via a magnet Reed switch once solenoid fully engaged. Any advice appreciated
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: Clutch actuator conversion

Post by Kawazuki »

Obvs. I don't know your problem but a solenoid operated clutch would surely pose a problem with starting, stopping and low speed creep type driving? Manual clutch operation can be made super soft via master cyl. sizing, even adding a servo or go hand operation on the gear lever!
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

I was thinking of keep the existing arrangement and attaching the solenoid to that, as a kind of assist during pulling away from standstill, something I will have to try Cheers
King Herald

Post by King Herald »

An electric clutch would need some careful matching of components, like a 'fly by wire' throttle does, and would rely on steady even current supply. It could work, if you know the exact components to use, and are experienced in that sort of electrical actuator.

A vacuum assisted clutch, using a brake booster, would also work.
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

I was thinking of a on/off activation, where at standstill my foot would take over after it was activated. When moving and changing gear I would just use the solenoid only. I could rig up an additional servo, hall effect arrangement for a smooth disengagement later. Will wait until I get the trike an see if a bag of sugar on clutch peddle does the job, so I know that 1 kg force is enough. Thanks for your thoughts
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Or just have clutch and brake pedals on the right hand side .
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

Originally I was going to use a clutch arrangement as standard on motorbikes with a cable and bring the gearstick out on the otherside but that idea got poo pood