Axle tubes

Help needed & advice given..try here
Farney

Axle tubes

Post by Farney »

Hi. Can anybody tell me if the tubes are easy to remove and are they all the same diameter
Thanks
Skidmark
Part of the Furniture

Re: Axle tubes

Post by Skidmark »

on what a VW or reliant?
Farney

Post by Farney »

Sorry it’s a reliant I am running a “a axle but have got a “b” axle. Can I swap the tubes and half shafts from one to the other
lepchaun
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by lepchaun »

If your A stamp axel is in good condition just swap out the crown wheel and pinion wheel for the B stamp ones
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

Ithink you may find there is a difference in the housing of the b axle ifond this when changing mine
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

i have searched my memory ( not a pretty thing) and remembered why the two dont mix the b crown wheel and nose gear and bearing are actually larger and i did try to clearance the casing but found it was a no go so removed the shortened the shortened tube and and changed that to the b axle so good luck with your project.
Farney

Post by Farney »

old git wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:18 pm i have searched my memory ( not a pretty thing) and remembered why the two dont mix the b crown wheel and nose gear and bearing are actually larger and i did try to clearance the casing but found it was a no go so removed the shortened the shortened tube and and changed that to the b axle so good luck with your project.
How are the tubes held on. Looks to be rivets.
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

yes they are rivets drill them out alternatively if you need to have a shotend side cut he tube and sleeve the inside and weld i have replaced the rivets by taping using allen bolts to get the tubes out requires a hydraulic press maybe a local garage could help or a engineering company
Farney

Post by Farney »

old git wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:31 pm yes they are rivets drill them out alternatively if you need to have a shotend side cut he tube and sleeve the inside and weld i have replaced the rivets by taping using allen bolts to get the tubes out requires a hydraulic press maybe a local garage could help or a engineering company
Sorted. Not to bad to do in the end. Thanks for the pointers 👌
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

glad to be of help, happy riding.