condension in oil

Help needed & advice given..try here
snakepete

condension in oil

Post by snakepete »

Hi folks yes its that time of year, can any one tell me how to stop me getting condension in my oil while the trikes parked up in the garage for the winter, this happened last year and i had to do 2 oil and filter changes to get her right.
The garage has a heater set at 5c so it does not freeze

Thanks
King Herald

Re: condension in oil

Post by King Herald »

Condensation usually forms because you don't get the oil hot enough while riding or driving a motor. You shouldn't get it if the trike is simply parked up.
Lots of cars get it because they only do short journeys and never really get up to temp. To get rid of it simply do a longer journey and get the motor up to full temp for a while, and it will evaporate.
You do have a thermostat fitted?

I even had it on a big Jap four bike years ago, when I was only doing about 7 miles each way to work, the sight glass was creamed up with it. It disappeared when I went on a long run.
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

As kh said, also if its a car engine make sure your crankcase breather hose,filter are clear. You can also buy engine oil for vehicle winter storage which contains rust inhibitors. Its recommended over winter to run your engine up to temp at least once a month. All the best
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

On generators that were not been run for periods of time they used to fit sump plate heaters and periodically get the oil up to temp, some on all the time, you would have to again vent the vapour.
snakepete

Post by snakepete »

King Herald wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:26 am Condensation usually forms because you don't get the oil hot enough while riding or driving a motor. You shouldn't get it if the trike is simply parked up.
Lots of cars get it because they only do short journeys and never really get up to temp. To get rid of it simply do a longer journey and get the motor up to full temp for a while, and it will evaporate.

I even had it on a big Jap four bike years ago, when I was only doing about 7 miles each way to work, the sight glass was creamed up with it. It disappeared when I went on a long run.
yes it does have a thermostat fitted. so if i run it up in the garage that's going more harm than good. thanks
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Yep - needs to get hot under load to heat soak everything. If your garage heater was placed under the sump it will help. I'm dreading what I'll find in a motor that's been parked in a dry garage for 15 yrs at least LOL!
Last edited by Kawazuki on Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King Herald

Post by King Herald »

snakepete wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:08 am
King Herald wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:26 am Condensation usually forms because you don't get the oil hot enough while riding or driving a motor. You shouldn't get it if the trike is simply parked up.

yes it does have a thermostat fitted. so if i run it up in the garage that's going more harm than good. thanks
You shouldn't develop condensation in the garage, it forms when you're riding and the engine is breathing damp air around the crankcase.

It needs to get good and hot, for a while, to dry out the oil. So, no, running in the garage is not very good.