Distributor firing reverse order

Help needed & advice given..try here
Barneyb

Distributor firing reverse order

Post by Barneyb »

Replaced distributor as previous one has sheard threads that hold cap on, new one fitted engine will not start. Was puzzled when turned rotor to point at no1 @10 degrees btdc plugged ht lead to no1 spark plug front nearest hole distributor, the one rotor pointing too. Did others to suit 1 3 4 2 no joy, sparks at plugs, fuel getting through no joy, it wasn't until I was looking at some photos I had that I noticed they had no1 lead at the back of the engine and went from their, disi drive in completely the wrong position. Strip down job, the more I do to the trike the more I find wrong, Mrs calls it triggers broom now, had to replace carb and numerous other things, how it ran before is a mystery.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: Distributor firing reverse order

Post by Kawazuki »

Sounds like you've put dizzy in 180 degrees out. Obviously rotor points to No1 when on firing stroke or both rockers loose
Skidmark
Part of the Furniture

Post by Skidmark »

if its a VW its 1 4 3 2
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

Rotor only goes in one way and points to no1 cylinder at 10deg btdc but lead connected to no4, how it came, think was rebuilt with the cylinder nearest clutch as no1, arse about face, if I turn distributor 180 it would not point to any cylinder. Skid its a reliant 850
At 10deg btdc my no4 cylinder is under compression and ready to be ignited and not no1
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Post by ratwing »

The distributor shaft key only goes in one way so maybe the drive slot in the skew gear is 180° out on the camshaft gear? Or assuming the timing marks are right, I wonder if someone installed the cam 180° out - is that even possible?
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

yes very possible skew gear i80 out the camshaft drive has no particular set you just need to ensure that the skew gear goes in the correct position try and find a manual that shows the orientation on a mini the gear can be puled out using a long bolt from the radiator support
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

Yep the drive gear 180 deg out, it goes on to shut both valves on number 2 cylinder next for firing, doesn't affect running but was a nightmare to find out after I changed the disi.
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Post by ratwing »

Qne more problem fixed then :thumbsup:
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Barneyb wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:56 am Yep the drive gear 180 deg out, it goes on to shut both valves on number 2 cylinder next for firing, doesn't affect running but was a nightmare to find out after I changed the disi.
Smug bastard mode - nice to know I was right! 😉
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

reliant engines are austin seven look at a mini manual for the correct orientation of the skew gear i think very little changed internally from the old austin seven lovely smooth engine