Petrol e10 update

Help needed & advice given..try here
Barneyb

Petrol e10 update

Post by Barneyb »

Following a post i have seen from a motorcycle dealer about bike carbs being corroded, gummed up and general rust when using e10. I thought I would pass on what I have been told as it may be pertinent to many trikes. On reliant and others using su carbs the e10 destroys the rubber seals on the pipe between the carb float chamber and the carb itself, it needs replacing with copper olives. Classic car owners have started to see leaks from here. The standard rubber fuel line is also attacked by e10, it needs replacing with r9 high pressure fuel pipe, which is resistant and only a couple of quid from ebay. Their are posts on Facebook where it seems smaller cc bike engines and classic bikes, chainsaws, lawn mowers, outboard motors etc are badly damaged. I use millers eps on every fill up, half dose when using e5. Hope of some help, cheers barney.
King Herald

Re: Petrol e10 update

Post by King Herald »

I've been told that Esso e5 doesn't actually contain any ethanol. No idea how true it is, but I use e5 in both my bikes, one is 1997 t'other is 2004. Not always from Esso but if I'm near one I go there.
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

From esso faq
We currently supply an ethanol-free Synergy Supreme * 99 unleaded in some parts of the UK.
From September 2023 our Synergy Supreme * 99 will transition to contain up to a maximum of 5% ethanol at all Esso pumps irrespective of which part of the country they are located. The labelling at our pumps will remain as E5 for Synergy Supreme * 99 unleaded.

Shame they had to fall in line
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Bit of a bugger as I was only using Esso stuff as it was zero ethanol - they certainly didn't shout about the change which means about 60 quids worth that I bought, was mis-sold!
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Post by ratwing »

It's something we've just got to adapt to, ethanol in petrol is here to stay and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see higher percentages coming in too.
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

And Bill Gates is buying up every bit of farmland he can so he can grow corn and wheat, i wonder what he'll use all that for ? feeding people or ethanol............. (sorry rant over)
Pikey Hagar

Post by Pikey Hagar »

Hoiya all.

Hope this link is useful.

https://youtu.be/0ge2PZIX1oM?feature=shared
Ye road of life is like a fine wench...they both have soft shoulders and some dangerous curves. Travel/ride with care! :eek: