Upside down reliant drive axle oil level

Help needed & advice given..try here
Barneyb

Upside down reliant drive axle oil level

Post by Barneyb »

Hi folks, just pumped out what little ep90 oil I could from the rear drive axle, fill bung seized solid , took a week of wd to free. Can you tell me how much oil do you guys put in, do you fill until the level plug hole or would that be too much, with it being upside down, meaning the drive gears would be submerged. Thanks as always barney
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Re: Upside down reliant drive axle oil level

Post by Davey the punk »

I use semi fluid grease up to the plug hole
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Up to fill hole is std when rwup and could get messy if overfilled when upside down! I'd fill it off the trike rwup ie. to plug then invert and mount. You want it right as when inverted it is turning the diff in reverse where it will have had little wear in it's former life!
Last edited by Kawazuki on Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Post by ratwing »

When the axle is the right way up and from dry, Robins and Rialtos take 2¼ pints of EP90 so if you've sucked out what you can then add a teaspoon or so less and you'll be ok.
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

Noticed some grease in with the oil, reminded me of motak we used at br on traction motors, must be the same as daveys, so brimmed with oil. Just puzzled me why with a reliant engine and gearbox why the reliant rear axle would be mounted upside down , rotation of engine would be right.