what AMP size wire should i use to rewire robin trike

Help needed & advice given..try here
snakepete

what AMP size wire should i use to rewire robin trike

Post by snakepete »

Hi I'm thinking of rewiring my reliant robin trike, its a mess.
What amp wire should i be looking at? The biggest out put is the head lights at 20amps on full beam and the cooling fan so what's the safest amp wire.
I'm not going to touch the alternator wiring side.
Thanks peter
King Herald

Re: what AMP size wire should i use to rewire robin trike

Post by King Herald »

If/when I get to the wiring stage for mine I shall use something like this. Trailer wire, multiple colours by the metre. There’s two sizes in this one, I shall use the 1.5mm for the led lights and low load, and the 2.5mm for main headlights and other heavier uses.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/13-core- ... 9-amp.html
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

King Herald wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:09 am If/when I get to the wiring stage for mine I shall use something like this. Trailer wire, multiple colours by the metre. There’s two sizes in this one, I shall use the 1.5mm for the led lights and low load, and the 2.5mm for main headlights and other heavier uses.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/13-core- ... 9-amp.html
Great find that. :thumbsup:
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

If the cooling fans drawing 20 or so amps I would use 4/6mm cable because of the inrush current, inductive load. I also put a diode across the fans terminals to stop contact arching due to back emf.
King Herald

Post by King Herald »

Barneyb wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:01 pm If the cooling fans drawing 20 or so amps I would use 4/6mm cable because of the inrush current, inductive load. I also put a diode across the fans terminals to stop contact arching due to back emf.
The fan wires on my project aren’t even 2.5mm looking at them. I can’t remember what amperage they are. They don’t have contacts, just simple induction motor, but I shall use a relay to operate them. I’ve done it on several vehicles without a problem.

IMG_8796.jpeg
IMG_8797.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

Probably 8 amp like the fan I am putting on, where 2.5mm is fine, worth a diode across as is saves contact burn/arching. Cable sizing is the same as relay sizing where inductive loads are concerned. https://relaypros.com/choosing_proper_amperage.htm
King Herald

Post by King Herald »

Barneyb wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:46 am Probably 8 amp like the fan I am putting on, where 2.5mm is fine, worth a diode across as is saves contact burn/arching. Cable sizing is the same as relay sizing where inductive loads are concerned. https://relaypros.com/choosing_proper_amperage.htm
I have to admit I’ve never worked out the size of relay before, just bought them and put them on. :o

I’ve saved that website for future reference, thanks.
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

The lights are all wired in parallel so they get 12volts. You would perhaps take them to a common point and use a relay to switch the power to them and not say a small switch on the dash. Main beam 60 Watts draws 5Amps. Wires only need beefing up if the run is long. I would bet that 20AWG or 18AWG will be plenty for most things.

Indicators are 21 Watt. Both front and back combined only draw 3.5 Amps.

Have a plan for wire colour. I saw a wiring job that every wire was red and ran like a washing line point to point. A complete abortion that I doubt anyone would be able to troubleshoot.
King Herald

Post by King Herald »

Andy from Sandy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:33 pm.
Have a plan for wire colour. I saw a wiring job that every wire was red and ran like a washing line point to point. A complete abortion that I doubt anyone would be able to troubleshoot.
I did one car in all black wiring, but used them little numbered loops that slip over the end of each wire so you can identify them. Not as good as proper colouring, but hopefully makes it easier to do any work on it at a later date. And I kept a record of what each number was for.

Next time I do a vehicle I will draw up a full circuit diagram and lay out plan before I start. No matter how well I have planned in the past there were always a lot more wires than I’d initially thought of.
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

King Herald wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:21 am Next time I do a vehicle I will draw up a full circuit diagram and lay out plan before I start. No matter how well I have planned in the past there were always a lot more wires than I’d initially thought of.
I started one many years ago. Still have not rewired it :)
Also, since then, I added towbar electrics.
Trike Wiring.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.