Engine change

Help needed & advice given..try here
Barneyb

Engine change

Post by Barneyb »

Hi guys a couple of questions if I may, the 2nd trike project has arrived, it has a rear mounted Ford fiesta engine and drive gear. I am thinking of putting a spare reliant engine i have in it, so the engine would be no longer at the rear. Can anybody tell me please if I put the reliant engine and its drive train in, would I run foul of msva regs or lose its historic status, it will be 40 in 6 years and would be nice to have one tax/mot exempt. Thanks as always for your comments. Bb
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: Engine change

Post by Kawazuki »

Unless it's already registered as a trike, MSVA will need to be done and it'll get a Q plate which doesn't qualify as Historic, so still requires tax and certainly MOT.
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

Just found this https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-criteria
It was q plated in 1990 and from the website it does not seem to be substantial changes, so I am hopeful it will be ok. I will have to notify dvlc and explain the same period engine change seems q plate can become historic if 40+ years and not substantially changed in the last 30
Davey the punk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Davey the punk »

Me mate has had 4 different engines in his trike the last 30 years never bothers telling dvla once its a trike its a trike
Born a rocker die a rocker :triker:
ratwing
Part of the Furniture

Post by ratwing »

If you're replacing a rear mounted Fiesta engine/gearbox with a front mounted Reliant engine/gearbox/back axle then don't you fall foul of "Axles and running gear – alteration of the type and or method of suspension or steering constitutes a substantial change" and "Engine – alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative original equipment engines are not considered a substantial change" ? Then there's the associated chassis work to fit it all too, that must count as a substantial change too ?
Having said that, you could just tell Swansea you changed the engine, provide a receipt for it, and they'll change your log book so the numbers & capacity match what you've got.
King Herald

Post by King Herald »

ratwing wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:02 am If you're replacing a rear mounted Fiesta engine/gearbox with a front mounted Reliant engine/gearbox/back axle then don't you fall foul of "Axles and running gear – alteration of the type and or method of suspension or steering constitutes a substantial change" and "Engine – alternative cubic capacities of the same basic engine and alternative original equipment engines are not considered a substantial change" ? Then there's the associated chassis work to fit it all too, that must count as a substantial change too ?
Having said that, you could just tell Swansea you changed the engine, provide a receipt for it, and they'll change your log book so the numbers & capacity match what you've got.
There has been much talk in the past about DVLA taking photos of vehicles that pass MSVA or BIVA etc, so they could be checked at MOT time etc, but I don’t think anything ever became of it.

I just wish I could find a suitable Q plate project myself, so I don’t have to go through all the faffing about with MSVA on my V8 project. I don’t mind getting tested, but all the paperwork, receipts, trailering the beast back and forth will be a ball ache.
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

King Herald wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:59 am I just wish I could find a suitable Q plate project myself, so I don’t have to go through all the faffing about with MSVA on my V8 project. I don’t mind getting tested, but all the paperwork, receipts, trailering the beast back and forth will be a ball ache.
I have a mate with a V8 for sale. It has been standing for a while.
Tis in Birmingham.

If you have access to Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/damien.banwell ... WkeJpsyJZl
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
King Herald

Post by King Herald »

1130cc wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:59 pm
King Herald wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:59 am I just wish I could find a suitable Q plate project myself, so I don’t have to go through all the faffing about with MSVA on my V8 project. I don’t mind getting tested, but all the paperwork, receipts, trailering the beast back and forth will be a ball ache.
I have a mate with a V8 for sale. It has been standing for a while.
Tis in Birmingham.

If you have access to Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/damien.banwell ... WkeJpsyJZl
Thanks for the link, it’s a bit pricey for me at the moment really, I’m pretty much cleaned out at the bank building mine, and it’s still got a long way to go. :o
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

1707456388920.jpg
Got the v5 back, no mention of ford fiesta engine, diesel was fitted in line not at back, radiator brackets still on front of trike frame. Similar to photo. Kh that frame is for sale, trying to find out if it has a q plate with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barneyb

Post by Barneyb »

Just received message, not a q plate, shame really, he does have reliant frames with age related registrations, but I do not think they will help you.