Dover area.

Trike Clubs & Forums from the UK & Beyond!
Sean (BTW_UK Area9)

Re: Dover area.

Post by Sean (BTW_UK Area9) »

Hi Terry and Herby.
Herby. We strive to be completely neutral. Affiliated to no one. Here in Kent we can wear a front patch but not a back patch. We are hoping one day that will change but for now its not really a problem at all. I have been in contact with the MC and I have been told that we are quite welcome to attend their events but only with no patches at all...which is fine. Outside their events we can wear front patches in Kent with no problem. Our aim is to get on with everyone and be seen to support no one. We have a monthly get together/meeting which you are perfectly welcome to attend as a guest. Believe me mate the benefits of joining far outweigh the few negatives. If you want a chat about it mate please feel free to email me sean.area9btw-uk@hotmail.com. If the politics was really bad then I wouldn't want to be a member either but the fact is its all pretty cool now. No problems. Terry....you are about right with your 300 figure although I am reliably informed the figure has never gone above 400. In saying that it is still the largest trike association in the UK and worldwide there are something like 20,000 members. The BTW-UK you see now is a long way removed from the old BTW-UK. Our reputation plummeted after a few unfortunate incidents about 10 years ago. Things have completely changed now. Really nice people running it and a completely different attitude. Its all VERY friendly and relaxed now. https://www.facebook.com/groups/26866341386/
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

How much does it cost to join ?
terryt
Part of the Furniture

Post by terryt »

Aztec wrote:How much does it cost to join ?
Hi Aztec it cost £25.00 with pdf online news letter or £32.00 with postal news letter. all member ship funds go to central with half going to the US.
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

So thats about £10000 a year from the UK and about £500000 worldwide.

I presume most of it gets ploughed back into the membership ? :respek:
Sean (BTW_UK Area9)

Yes most of it does go back into the membership of sorts. Admin costs, running the website, organising and running the yearly rallies, having stands at other rallies, merchandise, and of course some goes to charities both in the USA and here. Over here we support charities like the Air Ambulance and Help for Heroes.
Yup you've got the prices right Terry. But that isn't much when you consider that most members cover that cost alone just with the discount they get on their insurance by being a member. Here's some of the benefits of joining BTW-UK.

Discount on insurance.
6 Newsletters a year.
Access to 6 USA Triker magazines a year.
Access to the members only forum.
Access to the members only Facebook pages.
Invites to the annual Threedom party and annual Threedom Rally
Organised ride outs.

We also have a huge database of where to get spares etc and there is always someone online in the members only Facebook pages who can give advice if you need it. Something else I meant to mention in my previous reply regarding the wearing of patches. No one is obliged to wear a patch. It is purely your choice. I do and most members do but no one has to if they don't want to. Also, you don't even have to get involved at all if you don't want to. You can be as active or passive a member as you like. If you want to just sit back and read the magazines and newsletters that is absolutely fine. If you want to get involved that is fine too. Its all very relaxed. You don't even have to come to the monthly meetings if you don't want to. Our aim is simple. Just to have fun riding our trikes, meet more trikers and get on with everyone. A few of us will be at the Whitstable Toy Run in Dec. If you're there come say ello.
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

You'll have to come along to our get together on 10th 11th & 12th June 2016 and meet up with some like minded souls. :thumbsup:
terryt
Part of the Furniture

Post by terryt »

They don't pay for stands at other rallies or events that up to the local BTW to sort.
Aztec 50% of that money goes to America!
Aztec
Applier of sticky tape

Post by Aztec »

terryt wrote:They don't pay for stands at other rallies or events that up to the local BTW to sort.
Well thats a bit daft, this is starting to sound like a pyramid selling business ? 50% going into someone elses pocket.....in another country.

Surely not ?

:respek:
terryt
Part of the Furniture

Post by terryt »

Aztec wrote:
terryt wrote:They don't pay for stands at other rallies or events that up to the local BTW to sort.
Well thats a bit daft, this is starting to sound like a pyramid selling business ? 50% going into someone elses pocket.....in another country.

Surely not ?

:respek:
I think it some thing to do with the affiliation of trikers . America the money helps there member that have fallen on hard times.. yea I know
Sean (BTW_UK Area9)

Not sure I'm over keen on being called a liar. But some of the money DOES go towards running stands at some other rallies. Not much of it I grant you but some does. Gazebos, tables, banners, getting flyers and cards printed and merchandise. None of that stuff comes free. Not everything at every non BTW event is paid for by the local BTW. There is a central store and items can be borrowed from there.
How on earth can it be anything like a pyramid selling business?. All you do is join. Then that's it. You don't have to spend another penny if you don't want to. Most if not all of your joining fee would be covered by the discount on your insurance. To a lot of members (me included) membership is free because I actually save more than the cost of my membership with the insurance discount.
BTW was started in the USA. We are the UK Chapter of BTW. Its nothing new for a UK Chapter to send money to the US. Its been going on for decades in some clubs and associations. You don't get to be the UKs and the Worlds largest trike association by 'pyramid selling' (I still can't see the comparison by the way) or fleecing members. We have some people that have been members for well over ten years. None of them are stupid. None of them would stay somewhere they are getting ripped off.
All BTW-UK financial reports are published every year and all members have access to read them for themselves if they wish. Any member can attend the annual AGM (next year its on the Isle of Wight) and ask any questions they wish.
Guys, despite what you may have been told or what some people might think there really are no hidden agendas here. It does exactly what it says on the tin. We all ride trikes. We all want to enjoy being trikers. We have a very knowledgeable membership who are only too happy to help when needed. You'll get to meet a lot of like minded people and you'll have fun. What I say to people who are thinking about joining us is this. Give us a go. Its not going to break your bank account. See if you like it. If you find its not for you then just don't renew when the time comes. Can't really say any fairer than that. Come on in and judge us for yourself.