XJ750 Seca Trike

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
JC1
Part of the Furniture

XJ750 Seca Trike

Post by JC1 »

OK, well I promised to post the re-build a while ago and finally got around to it, so here goes...
Cue first pic....XJ750 Seca import
First Pic.JPG
Daughter thought it was for her! so the story from front to back, its a bit of a saga so i'll do it in installments ...front wheel removed puncture fixed, discs removed and checked for "true", bearings regreased. Forks stripped as leaking oil from the top, it was at this point I realised the rose tinted glasses were on when I saw it ... the top oil seals were rolled up bits of rag, the fork oil smelled so bad it made me heave. well the bushes were ok so stripped, cleaned and new seals fresh oil and sorted. The front brake should be a cable to the master cylinder under 2 rectangular lights, the master cylinder has been moved to the handlebar and a T piece fitted behind a round headlight, but the brake lines are too short and don't allow full extension of the forks, T piece and bracket re-made to fit. Calipers were siezed and had bits missing so strip clean, made some anti squeal shims, new pistons and seals.
At this point I discovered the next challenge, the state of the wiring, after looking behind the headlight i discovered more tape joints than a badly wrapped Xmas present...
IMG_1035.JPG
IMG_1003.JPG
The Ignition switch was shot so had to get a close fit new one and make spacers to fit, Instrument cluster stripped cleaned lubed and tested.
Well thats all for now ...Next posting Carbs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JC1
Part of the Furniture

Re: XJ750 Seca Trike

Post by JC1 »

Ok onto the carbs, 4 to deal with, fitted with K&N pod filters, according to the XJ4ever web site i'm going to have fun setting them up ..... the trike had been standing for some time so decided to strip clean and check the jet sizes while in there.
IMG_0889.JPG
They did take some cleaning to remove 34 years of dirt and varnish, I had to renew the rubber throttle shaft seals too.
DSCF1012.JPG
The emulsion tubes shows just what a mess there was inside.
Em Tube B4.JPG
Float levels were dry set when they were apart and wet set later when all back together, bench sync when all 4 reassembled, I haven't had the engine running since so I still have the vacuum sync and colour tune to do.
Next posting, engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Herby01
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Herby01 »

Looks like you got your workout out there bro!
:loco: :crazy: :rotfl: :b :woot: :killing me: :rant: :drink: :shemademe:
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

That's a nice setup on the rear end especially if you do rally's
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

Hope you have more luck than Gareth is having with he's carbs
JC1
Part of the Furniture

Post by JC1 »

Cheers Jinj, I've been reading Gareths post, these things are sent to try us !!
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

Mines brakes
JC1
Part of the Furniture

Post by JC1 »

So the engine, just the usual stuff, checked and adjusted the valve clearances (shims), still ran a bit ropey so did a compression test and that read low, I was only getting about 75 -90 psi, so a squirt of oil down each bore and it was a bit better, but not brilliant so I decided to take it apart and have a look at the valves. As I've still got a lot of work to do on the trike a bit more more wouldn't hurt... or would it ... full gasket set £80.00, set of rings £27, glaze bust, head skim and valves re-faced £100, 4lts oil £40, Clutch plate friction set £23, it did hurt, but its done.
Anyone seen my valve seats?
Head Before.jpg
The front engine studs are covered in a plastic sleeve that should protect them from the road spray.. unfortunately 34 years has taken its toll and when you remove the barrels all the pieces fall down into the sump... yeah brilliant .. not!!
Studs.jpg
Anyway, here is the head after being worked on ...
Head After.jpg
There's more ..
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

Looks like that been burning oil for a bit . at least you got the head off my mate restored a CB 650 never got the head of ended up scraping the engine
JC1
Part of the Furniture

Post by JC1 »

Anyway it's all back together now with a freshly painted valve cover, I still have to get it back in the frame and fire it up ..but while it was out I decided to touch the frame up ... and get the propshaft rebuilt correctly ... but thats another story..
Pistons Back.jpg
Slightly ... erm .... "busy" garage in the background.
No its not Carex it's 10-40W
Complete.jpg

Oh and a quick peek at the clutch plates .... nasty!
Clutch.jpg
OK the next installment .. Tank and other bits .... hmmm