Overheating Kawasaki VN700 Trike - Thanks all

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Still need help with an overheating Kawasaki VN700 Trike

Post by jinjachin »

I'm only 35 minutes from you I've got a compression tester you can borrow if someone hasn't already borrowed it I'll have a look in a bit if you're interested
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

Kawazuki wrote:
1130cc wrote:
hightower wrote:Oh and the over flow bottle is next to the right hand side panel but a bit lower
This rings alarm bells, to me, given your answer to all the other questions.

Are you sure that you do not have an airlock?
I would defo try and get this higher than any water channel, at least temporarily.
If the rad / thermostat housing has a spring cap then the expansion bottle can be anywhere - its not critical. As water expands out of the rad it flows to the bottle under the level in the bottle - any trapped air bubbles off & bottle level rises. As water cools with engine off it contracts and 'sucks' water back from bottle to engine. Its not a sealed system but is fairly well self regulating.
Was suggesting as a "grasping at straws" solution.
If the airlock is big enough the water expansion will make no difference.
Know enough people who have had the problem with Rover V8 lumps. I have now incorporated a bleed pipe that runs off the top of the inlet manifold. The top of the pipe, when raised, is higher that the expansion bottle. Never had an air lock since :)
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

1130cc wrote: Was suggesting as a "grasping at straws" solution.
If the airlock is big enough the water expansion will make no difference.
Know enough people who have had the problem with Rover V8 lumps. I have now incorporated a bleed pipe that runs off the top of the inlet manifold. The top of the pipe, when raised, is higher that the expansion bottle. Never had an air lock since :)
I know - but just correcting the statement - some people take internet advice as gospel and can get themselves into more trouble. Usually bike coolant systems are pretty good / airlock free by design and self 'burp' air out easily. Doesn't help the OP though! Only thing I can think of is low water content / airlock if the system has been changed from designed? All out of other ideas! :bang:
hightower

Post by hightower »

jinjachin wrote:I'm only 35 minutes from you I've got a compression tester you can borrow if someone hasn't already borrowed it I'll have a look in a bit if you're interested
WOW! Thats a really nice offer. Thank you. Trouble is I have MS so working on it myself is a pain in the arse as my back packs up before the job is done. I'm going to flush the system out to day checking for any blockages. My mate who usually helps me is suffering a berevment at the moment so I don't want to trouble him for now. I'll let you know how I get on flushing it. It'll might take a couple of days tho
Many thanks again
hightower

Post by hightower »

Herby01 wrote:Are you loosing any water? Another sign of a Duff gasket is excessive water vapour from your exhaust
Not losing any water and havn't seen any water vapour either
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

I'm going to be in reddich early Monday morning I've got to pick a guy up to go on a course he don't live to far from the b and q I can drop it off if you want then just post it back or sprocky is coming up soon if you are done I'll ask him to bring it back . not sure what time yet let me know
hightower

Post by hightower »

jinjachin wrote:I'm going to be in reddich early Monday morning I've got to pick a guy up to go on a course he don't live to far from the b and q I can drop it off if you want then just post it back or sprocky is coming up soon if you are done I'll ask him to bring it back . not sure what time yet let me know
Thank you very much but I've booked it in with a local bike mechanic. Hes pretty sure he can sort it out.
Again thanks for all your help
jinjachin

Re: Overheating Kawasaki VN700 Trike - Thanks all

Post by jinjachin »

No problem mate