Feeling a bit guilty

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Herby01
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Feeling a bit guilty

Post by Herby01 »

On a lighter note, I did a little test with the 2 pac yesterday on the tank under the saddle, I mixed a little laquer and hardener and brushed it on quite thick, it didn't react and was set hard this morning. I also thought about the 2 pac thinner and brushed a little bit on a different bit under the saddle and it instantly turned the cellulose laquer to mush! :poke: as the 2 pac is quite thin I might try spraying with no thinner on the shed wall where I've been testing and if it sprays reasonably I'll go with that. If not I'll try with as little thinner as I can get away with as I think that's where the problem lies :hide:
I also got a pair of Yammy Dragster bags off fleabay, I gave them a brush up and covered them with Nikwax black waterproof/colourant and they came up nice :thumbsup: I'm gonna put one on the sissy bar and the other I'll hide under the saddle as it fits there and hides the wiring :thumbsup: Also it's out of sight.
:loco: :crazy: :rotfl: :b :woot: :killing me: :rant: :drink: :shemademe:
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

If you put the thinners neat on to any paint it will have that effect like you said try mixing it with the paint then try that
Herby01

Post by Herby01 »

Point taken jinj.
What I've done, mixed a but of 2 pac by guestimate near enough 2 - 1 then put a generous splash of thinner in it definately more than the recommended 10% then where I test the spray settings on the shed wall, it's got layers of base, flake and laquer just like on the tank, and given that a good coat of the mixture and I'll leave it overnight and see if it reacts.
Where I tested the tank with 2 pack and separate thinner it's set back to normal except there's brush marks in it. I'm quietly confident it'll work. :poke:
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

Fingers crossed for you .trouble is the stuff on now ain't up to the job so it ain't going to last long any way. I have the same problem mines satin black out of a can so I just touch it up in a couple of minutes there's a lot of work gone to the paint on yours ( and a nice job you've done too ) so you need to protect it really
Herby01

Post by Herby01 »

I'm really hoping I can now get a good few coats of 2 pac on, it's not as if I'm in the habit of pouring petrol over everything :hoofle: but as I found a little splash or a few drips from the pump can funk it right up.
I'm keeping everything crossed jinj :thumbsup:
Herby01

Post by Herby01 »

Just been out and looked at the shed wall and it looks OK, I scratched at it with a finger nail and it seems pretty tough already no real signs of that horible orange peel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Herby01

Post by Herby01 »

Right! Job done and I'm well impressed! I did a light coat with virtually no thinner in it and it came out like pebbledash! I left it until it had gone off just enough that I could leave a finger print in the laquer then did a flow coat, I then got a phone call to go and pick up the mother in law in London :hide: so I put the tank on the grandsons swing in the sun and left. 5 funking hours later I got home, I checked it when I got a minute and it's freaking awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: no reaction with the cellulose laquer at all and it's smooth as a babies backside :thumbsup: I think I'm gonna do the mudguards too, I'll say it again I'm well impressed :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

Lovely
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

Good thing no fly's landed on it. :thumbsup:
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
miniondave
Part of the Furniture

Post by miniondave »

What? You mean you've not spotted it. :hide: :poke: :hoofle:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.