my slow IRS Evo build 2016/2017

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
ianoldkwak

my slow IRS Evo build 2016/2017

Post by ianoldkwak »

Just one or two pics of my IRS bolt on rear end for my 1997 Evo. Loads more pics, diff, old cradle, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Onlyme

Re: my slow IRS Evo build 2016/2017

Post by Onlyme »

Nice looking build keep them pictures coming the more the better :respek:
:hide:
ianoldkwak

Post by ianoldkwak »

20151218_133605[1].jpg
20150809_161116[1].jpg
Rear diff bearing support and modified Ford Sierra rear hub to fit the Nova front discs. I've a set of VW rear calipers to fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Got to mention that you seem to be using rose joints for the pivot - they are not suitable for this application having no substantial / robust load bearing material.........Your life, you choose the risk.
UGLYMICK
Part of the Furniture

Post by UGLYMICK »

the wheel base looks like it mite be a bit to wide due to the size of the cradle and the wishbones and why use rose joints as in needs to be a solid fix to the frame for irs
ianoldkwak

Post by ianoldkwak »

I appreciate what ya saying, chaps. The rose joints are M18 Motor Sport spec, the bottom mount doesn't actually pivot on that point. Its a combination of being connected to the rubber mounted evo motor and some adjustment if needed. There's more cross bracing to go on and the top mount (original top shock mount) has a poly bush insert. If it wasn't a big ol V twin, I would have considered mounting it solidly, but still like the adjustability. I
know it brief, but hope that explains my thoughts and build rationale.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Not really - you are building flexibility into a sub assembly where there should be none! The only things to move and need adjustment in an IRS are the wishbone / frame attachments and the wishbone to hub. The former adjust castor and toe, the latter camber, anything else just produces weird handling effects. Connecting suspension or suspension sub frames to a rubber mounted engine is a definite No-No.
UGLYMICK
Part of the Furniture

Post by UGLYMICK »

Kawazuki wrote:Not really - you are building flexibility into a sub assembly where there should be none! The only things to move and need adjustment in an IRS are the wishbone / frame attachments and the wishbone to hub. The former adjust castor and toe, the latter camber, anything else just produces weird handling effects. Connecting suspension or suspension sub frames to a rubber mounted engine is a definite No-No.
ditto
ianoldkwak

Post by ianoldkwak »

I agree to point, in an ideal world. The rear swinging arm pivot on an Evo is to the rear of the gearbox which along with the motor, is rubber mounted. This is where the bottom mount is bolted on, additional bracing will be added to the cradle to stop the cradle trying to move the rose joints about its pivotal axis. I believe that Casarva, G Force and others do things in a similar fashion. If I were building a frame from scratch, then the cradle would be solidly mounted. Your absolutely right on the castor & toe in/out, these will be accomadated in due course. Cheers Ian
Stix
Part of the Furniture

Post by Stix »

On my vn 800 Cassava have mounted the cradle solidly there is no movement on it at all so it is basically part of the frame. My Suzuki done by the trike shop was the same solidly mounted to the frame.

Stix