my slow IRS Evo build 2016/2017

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
ianoldkwak

Re: my slow IRS Evo build 2016/2017

Post by ianoldkwak »

Hi Stix, its been a long while since I last laid eyes on a VN frame, if I remember rightly, the engines rubber mounted but the swinging arm pivot is part of the frame? That would allow the cradle to be rigidly mounted, as you say. Harleys Evo motors are similarly rubber mounted, but the swinging arm pivot is part of the gearbox. Handling wise as a bike rather than a trike, its one of the last places you'd want movement. I like the Casarva kits, just too tight to fork out for one and fancy using my skills to build something similar. I've a friend with a sporty and a RSC trike rear end, that handles really well. I'll have a look to see how thats mounted later.
ianoldkwak

Post by ianoldkwak »

I had a shufty at my mates RSC rear cradle, the bottom mount is mounted in the original swinging arm pivot position, which is rubber mounted. The top mount position is solidly mounted to the top shock mount. The Casarva Harley rears are also mounted in a similar fashion. I'm happy in my cradle design and I'm really looking forward to riding it, the Hardtail i'm currently riding is damned hard work on the roads around here.
Cheers Ian
ianoldkwak

Post by ianoldkwak »

[/attachment]
20151102_123809[1].jpg
Photo part way through Diff cover build and prepping the ford diff for a little machine work, hence the plug in the splined output.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SiBag

Post by SiBag »

New here and I will be watching this closely.
Just started gathering bits to build the wife a trike using a Sierra diff and half shafts.
So I'm looking for inspiration on the cradle and wishbones.
If it got Tit or Wheels its gona give you trouble...
Mad B0B
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Mad B0B »

SiBag wrote:New here and I will be watching this closely.
Just started gathering bits to build the wife a trike using a Sierra diff and half shafts.
So I'm looking for inspiration on the cradle and wishbones.
Welcome to the forums, could you pop over to the new members section and introduce yourself? It's consider good manners and is something we have all done
It's all about the grin on your face

:rock on:

My Build Log
ianoldkwak

Post by ianoldkwak »

The build is still stalled. Having a shed clear out, I can't move in there at the moment. Hopefully then I can get on with the build. Which diff are you using?
ianoldkwak

Post by ianoldkwak »

Another pic of the rear cradle and 4 of the 8 tube/cradle braces. Slow progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ianoldkwak

Post by ianoldkwak »

Well, it's been a while since I last posted. I've changed the bottom cradle mount, so it actually sits on/in the rear original swinging arm pivot point.

Previously, I'd made a bracket to mount the 18mm Int Rose Joints about 50mm further to the rear. The pivot mount on a Harley is 11/16ths (about 17.5mm...) Its a lot easier to show on a pic, but I've no access to my photo's at the moment.

So one 18mm Hand Reamer later and a good 3/4 hour hard labour, the 18mm steel bar that will eventually become a spindle now fits.

This brings me onto why things have taken so long. I recently bought a Drummond lathe to replace the basic "No back gear/no change gear" lathe I used to use. This Drummond has the capacity to cut threads and therefore I can make spindles...Its nigh on 100 Years old and needs re-commissioning, which I've nearly completed, but all takes time. This build has taken 2 years+ so far... :o
ianoldkwak

Post by ianoldkwak »

trike front end.jpg
trike rear cradle mount.jpg
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by jinjachin »

Keep at it you will get there