Flatcaps adventure into the unknown

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Flatcap

Flatcaps adventure into the unknown

Post by Flatcap »

As suggested, this will be the "home" for my first build which could end up like a bag of spanners or half decent but certainly not in any league above novice! My skills are limited but could be described as "will have a go" as I have played around with Jeeps,landies etc doing off roading and tarted up a couple of bikes through the years :)
Anyhow, a part project came into my paws which included a fair bunch of bits to help me on the way.
Key parts included are an apparent custom frame made by, but unconfirmed, Nottingham Customs, XS1100 motor with Diversion front end and common reliant axle. Loads of other parts like new tank & seats came with it but unsure at this point what will & wont be used cause I have no fixed idea yet!
Will begin by plonking a big blackboard in the garage & divide up into development sections-thats the theory.
A few photos, some bare & others mocked up with available bits:

As its a first build, I will be using as much of the kit as I can unless its just not right so Im open to comments and criticism!
Dratsie

Re: Flatcaps adventure into the unknown

Post by Dratsie »

Hi Flatcap
Looks like it has a lot of potential. good luck. :thumbsup: :respek:
"Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do.“ – Ben SpockImage
Flatcap

Post by Flatcap »

So just a bit of confirmation here! Trawling through old posts, I read that the mgf handbrake is a good bet. In the attached ebay listing, anyone know if this unit attaches to the frame using the two bolt holes on the silver bracket or are more bits needed?
Please bear with my sometimes daft questions!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172427693194? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Last edited by Flatcap on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flatcap

Post by Flatcap »

Dratsie wrote:Hi Flatcap
Looks like it has a lot of potential. good luck. :thumbsup: :respek:
Cheers mate, hope so!
Mad B0B
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Mad B0B »

Another thread to watch with intrest, good luck flatcap
It's all about the grin on your face

:rock on:

My Build Log
1130cc
Twiddler of Forum Buttons and Levers.

Post by 1130cc »

Looks like a nice "easy" project as you seem to have all the bits.

Not sure about the handbrake, especially as there is no link ;)
Someone will prolly post a pic of their set up.
A few members have recently worked on handbrake setups as part of the build process.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
gareth136

Post by gareth136 »

Looks a nice start point :respek:
gareth136

Post by gareth136 »

Flatcap wrote:So just a bit of confirmation here! Trawling through old posts, I read that the mgf handbrake is a good bet. In the attached ebay listing, anyone know if this unit attaches to the frame using the two bolt holes on the silver bracket or are more bits needed?
Please bear with my sometimes daft questions!
Can't find the link but I used the mgf handbreak lever on my build I had to weld a plate on the edge of the frame to mount it and it works well and being such a small lever doesn't look out of place ............one thing I would have done differently though is the mgf bracket that the cables attach too requires 2 cables to connect to the wheels which for me created more work to get them attached to the frame , you can get levers that only uses one cable for the 2 wheels if you look at trike handbreak levers like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271244137135 you can adapt one of these to fit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400629545936 .........lever is more expensive though ..........if you are anything like me you will want to go for the cheapest option so the mgf lever is just that I picked up second hand cables from said car for £20 cut them to fit .......hope this makes some sense cos it didn't as I was writing it ........ I know what I mean :hoofle: :eek: look at my build ( leagality) needed lots of help from everyone on here so maybe helpful :respek:
Flatcap

Post by Flatcap »

1130cc wrote:Looks like a nice "easy" project as you seem to have all the bits.

Not sure about the handbrake, especially as there is no link ;)
Someone will prolly post a pic of their set up.
A few members have recently worked on handbrake setups as part of the build process.
Sorted!I'll blame it on having manflu :tissue:
Flatcap

Post by Flatcap »

gareth136 wrote: Can't find the link but I used the mgf handbreak lever on my build I had to weld a plate on the edge of the frame to mount it and it works well and being such a small lever doesn't look out of place ............one thing I would have done differently though is the mgf bracket that the cables attach too requires 2 cables to connect to the wheels which for me created more work to get them attached to the frame , you can get levers that only uses one cable for the 2 wheels if you look at trike handbreak levers like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271244137135 you can adapt one of these to fit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400629545936 .........lever is more expensive though ..........if you are anything like me you will want to go for the cheapest option so the mgf lever is just that I picked up second hand cables from said car for £20 cut them to fit .......hope this makes some sense cos it didn't as I was writing it ........ I know what I mean :hoofle: :eek: look at my build ( leagality) needed lots of help from everyone on here so maybe helpful :respek:
Ta Gareth, will take a good look over this lovely cup of tea in front of me!