Trike build.

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Re: Trike build.

Post by minimutly »

Don't underestimate the need for a decent front brake, for this reason a wide front wheel would be better than a rear wheel imho.
fireman

Post by fireman »

Thanks guys, really appreciate feedback. Will try to post some pics.

Regards. Dave.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

minimutly wrote:Don't underestimate the need for a decent front brake, for this reason a wide front wheel would be better than a rear wheel imho.
Surely it depends on the design of the trike? A bike engined trike with the majority of its weight placed from rider forward will need a good front brake shared with a reasonable rear but something like a VW dub with pretty much most of its weight over the rear wheels need strong rear brakes whilst the front if 'very good' will tend to lock-up and offer reduced stopping and lost of steering - not good scenario!
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Kawazuki wrote:
minimutly wrote:Don't underestimate the need for a decent front brake, for this reason a wide front wheel would be better than a rear wheel imho.
Surely it depends on the design of the trike? A bike engined trike with the majority of its weight placed from rider forward will need a good front brake shared with a reasonable rear but something like a VW dub with pretty much most of its weight over the rear wheels need strong rear brakes whilst the front if 'very good' will tend to lock-up and offer reduced stopping and lost of steering - not good scenario!
Plus 1 on that.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

Er, the trike is a Suzuki GS850 Not a vw... So it needs a decent front brake.
On a wide, round (R1) rear wheel and tyre mine is impossible to lock up in the dry, and very difficult in the wet. And it stops well, using both brakes. I think it would be a better ride with twin, or even larger single disc, and considering the tyre only has the narrow bit in the middle in contact with the road, a narrower, flatter tyre should perform just as well.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

minimutly wrote:Er, the trike is a Suzuki GS850 Not a vw... So it needs a decent front brake.
On a wide, round (R1) rear wheel and tyre mine is impossible to lock up in the dry, and very difficult in the wet. And it stops well, using both brakes. I think it would be a better ride with twin, or even larger single disc, and considering the tyre only has the narrow bit in the middle in contact with the road, a narrower, flatter tyre should perform just as well.
So you've a R1 rear with std rear brake on the front of a GS850 powered trike? Trust me that is only an average brake and proves there is more grip than brake force. You have good overall braking but try stopping JUST with the front and then with all - i'd bet on ALL doing it in a considerably shorter distance. Suppose the rear system failed? I'd personally prefer to have more braking than required and not use all of it, than hoping an 'ok' brake stops me before the side of the car does :eek: It's personal opinion and i'm not preaching but in regards braking, too much of the correct type is never overkill! Be Safe!
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

I think your confused between the original poster's issue, and my example.
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

fireman wrote:HI all, newbie here to trike doctor. I am in the process of rebuilding a trike, I have a Suzuki GS 850 L 1979 Model.

I have totally stripped it down to frame only axle off everything. I would like to put a bigger front wheel tyre / complete front end.
Does anyone know what front end would go on my frame with not a lot of messing around.

I am also looking fora replacement axle, the one I have cut off is off a reliant, and its been abused by former owner.

Any help at all would be gratefully received. I will post some pics, when I figure out how. Cheers all. Fireman.
To go back to the beginning and try to be positive - hopefully without Walder and Staddler picking holes in everything:-
If you have the time and or contacts (they are out there) to sort a whole front end to bolt directly into your head bearing that's the easiest way to a wider front end. However, your frame is old, and getting someting wider will mean newer, and any wider front wheel might well be smaller diameter, so it might be harder than you think. Getting custom trees made and fitting a rear wheel is also not that simple, since you'll need a bigger disc than the one fitted at the factory. Whatever you do, don't reduce the amount of front braking, and if possible try to increase it. I know this from experience, see my build thread, and all I had to do was fit a bigger disc to an r1 rear wheel.

On the rear axle you've CUT off? Sounds like this was welded in? This is a big no no on a reliant axle, but honestly, these axles are the easiest and most suitable for a smallish trike. So, I would recommend you look for a good, clean replacement, weld some square/angle brackets along either tube and make some mountings on the frame to suite, but wide out, not near the middle, otherwise the thing will bend. Don't forget to fit a seperate torque reaction bar to stop it trying to twist itself in the mountings. Again, Been There, Done That.
I hope you get there in less time than it took me (3 years), because thats 3 years (less some misty eyed months either end) that you run the risk of losing interest...