Trike build.

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
fireman

Trike build.

Post by fireman »

HI all, newbie here to trike doctor. I am in the process of rebuilding a trike, I have a Suzuki GS 850 L 1979 Model.

I have totally stripped it down to frame only axle off everything. I would like to put a bigger front wheel tyre / complete front end.
Does anyone know what front end would go on my frame with not a lot of messing around.

I am also looking fora replacement axle, the one I have cut off is off a reliant, and its been abused by former owner.

Any help at all would be gratefully received. I will post some pics, when I figure out how. Cheers all. Fireman.
Stix
Part of the Furniture

Re: Trike build.

Post by Stix »

Hi Fireman
Pics will help a lot and enable better info to be given, as for the front forks you need to find a set with a set of yokes(triple trees) that will fit your frame and bolt em on, as for fitting a wider wheel and tyre combo some one here might have done it and will be along soon to help, other way is to look around for a wheel that is wider then find out if it has the same axle size as yours and the same amount of discs as yours, you will have to make up new spacers to get the wheel central in the forks and then see if the caliper will fit or will also need spacers.

Before you go to much further can you pop over to the new members page and introduce your self to the group, we have all done it and it will let all members know you are here.

Stix
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

Obviously the impatient type....
fireman

Post by fireman »

Not impatient at all, that what I thought it was all about. ?.
fireman

Post by fireman »

HI Stix , many thanks for your reply. All constructive replies are very welcome. It sounds like you are away if so hope you enjoy.

Once again thanks.
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

My own 1983 kawasaki has an r1 rear wheel on the front. It uses a set of billet machined yokes which are wider again than the wheel, making it look really chunky. The downside of using a rear wheel on the front is the break disc is not up to size, stix kindly donated me a vn1500 front disc whic necessitated an adaptor made up to locate it, as well as an adaptor to move the calliper out to match.
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by jinjachin »

The other way is to buy the complete front end minus the yoaks and have a set made with the correct off set .you will have a lot more choice of fork and wheel set up plus it will handle better not sure on cost but I know one of the guys on here has just had a set made and he's well pleased with the results .ask as many questions as you want even if you think it's daft thats what this place is all about helping each other :thumbsup: . Plus pictures make a big difference it you will get more solutions and answers .Look forward to go the rest of your build .
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

On the front of Herman (my Krauter trike) there is a Harley rear wheel and disc setup. You could get a wide rear wheel off any bike and have the yokes made up like minimutly has.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Hi fireman & welcome in. I have a Yamaha 1100 Dragstar trike, the front of which is the standard bike one & is big & chunky with a fat 16" wheel. Have you thought about fitting a front end off of a Suzuki cruiser? These are big & wide to start with & may very well have yokes that are near to fitting your steering neck. If they don't, you could alter your frame & have the steering neck fitted from the donor cruiser, or have yokes made to fit both the cruiser fork stanchions & your frame's neck. Any good custom bike shop could do both these alterations. Suzuki owners forums would probably be able to give you advice about what fits what etc. Well, good luck & I will follow your build with interest. I too am a retired firefighter from the LFB. Take it easy mate. Bob. :beer:
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
lepchaun

Post by lepchaun »

u could go for a goldwing 1500 front wheel 18inch as there is a proper trike tyre for it with the added advantage of twin disc for braking dont know if the 1200goldwing is the same size