Vmax Trike

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Zee

Re: Vmax Trike

Post by Zee »

jinjachin wrote:Looking at your shock mounts on the frame side i don't think they will be strong enough like that they will bend the bars or twist the frame .they need to be closer or have some serious bracing on them .The rear end on that is going to be a hell of a lot heavier than a bike rear end And you will have a lot of forces comming in a upwards direction

There will be a third shock in the middle, this is why they are far away from eachother. I agree on the shock mount strength and I am thinking of a way to support them (maybe I will use the OEM exhaust bracket to extend a supporting tube that will hold the long shock mount from the middle).

As for the weight; I think all trikes are heavier from the back !!
Zee

Post by Zee »

Kawazuki wrote:Re the attached photo,
IMG_20171215_102238.jpg
i'm not a coded welder but I wouldn't be happy with that splined shaft to plug weld! I looks like a series of arc dabs and not a continuous fillet. This is a really high stress area with torque from the engine being resisted by the shaft and final drive on acceleration and reverse on deceleration! I'd recommend at least three passes - 1 root and two cover, 5 or 6 would be better!

I used MIG welder here ... Yes you are right; i actually used three passes on this but in tacks. I will fill more after the test drive. I also welded the lower part of the splined shaft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zee

Post by Zee »

More .. pics.

Gussets and supports for the frame. The 2 steel blocks will act like washers inside the tube so it does not bend when I tighten it to the front bearing piece.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Herby01
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Herby01 »

I don't understand why you didn't mount the bearings in the ends of the swing arm/ frame. Unnecessary weight I think.
:loco: :crazy: :rotfl: :b :woot: :killing me: :rant: :drink: :shemademe:
Zee

Post by Zee »

Herby01 wrote:I don't understand why you didn't mount the bearings in the ends of the swing arm/ frame. Unnecessary weight I think.
The U beam piece is carrying the weight of the tubes (frame) with a big bearing. I wanted to make sure I have a good welded bearing mount too.
Zee

Post by Zee »

Corvette Rear end ... My in-laws have a salvaged C4 and I asked them if I can use the rear end; so over a weekend we spent a good time laughing and eating while cutting the C4. BTW, I used an ARC welder to cut it and I will never do it again !!! I leave you with photos ..
Zee

Post by Zee »

C4 rear end ..
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

So you used cutting rods on a arc welder!!! They make a right mess and the smoke, :eek: :eek: It's been years since I cut metal that way. Are you going to use the diff as well as the rear body section on your build. That will look sweet. :thumbsup:
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Zee

Post by Zee »

Deep Diver wrote:So you used cutting rods on a arc welder!!! They make a right mess and the smoke, :eek: :eek: It's been years since I cut metal that way. Are you going to use the diff as well as the rear body section on your build. That will look sweet. :thumbsup:

Well ...that was my only available cutting tool since their house is 130 km away from my home workshop. Yeah it was a real mess and I was using only black goggles and you can imagine what happened to my face :hissyfit:

Unfortunately it's too late to use the C4 rear end because I already bought a Samurai axle; yeah i know its all alloy.
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

I wouldn't cry over not using the C4 rear end - looks a pile of poo to me.
Cutting using an arc rod is sometimes the easiest (if not allways the tidyest) way to cut stuff, used it many times myself, usually quick and easy