Honda NC700D Trike rebuild

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
cris_73

Honda NC700D Trike rebuild

Post by cris_73 »

[image][/image]
Just waiting on my trike coming back from Dorset. Bought the bike in Apr last year from a garage in Elgin. They gave me some story about it being kept in storage for a year due to last keepers ill health so I invested £7k in the trike as it only had 3500 miles on it since it's original conversion by BB Customs in 2015.
Had nothing but breakdowns since buying it and only actually covered 850 miles in 11 months. The half shaft in the rear axle kept on wearing down and went through 4 in 11 months. For the final repair it's been Pete Burrows at Nextgen in Dorset ( formerly BB Customs) since October last year. In total I've spent another £3k in two major repairs over the past year however this time I have been assured the trike has been rebuild from the rear with new diff; new shafts; basically a brand new set up at the rear.
Has anyone else had any issues with custom rear axle trikes?
I've basically run out of funds as this was an investment with the last of my ill health retirement money and due to a chronic condition I don't know how long ill still be able to ride for hence this type of machine as I can no longer use foot pedals.
Has anyone had experience with this type of conversion on an auto NC700?
I live in the central belt near Stirling, does anyone know of anywhere local to here who can work on custom trikes if I encounter any other issues although I have been assured by Pete that this time the problems of the original set up have been addressed and that I not have any further problems. Obviously it's cos hundreds to gave it shipped to and from Dorset so I'd like to find someone closer to home.
I'm hoping for the trike to return home in the next week or so fingers crossed. My wife has a Piaggio MP3 500CC which is ok but not the same and due to my balance now starting to go it's gonna be more suitable for me to ride the trike. Hope to cover some decent mileage and make up for the last 11 months of hell with it.
Has anyone else had a trike built by BB Customs or Nextgen as they are now known?
I look forward to any input 👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Re: Honda NC700D Trike rebuild

Post by Kawazuki »

Don't know anything about the company or that bike but from what's visible of the rear suspension the hub doesn't look very well supported or braced which is causing the half shaft issues? A back end picture may help?
cris_73

Post by cris_73 »

Thanks that's How it was prior to being shipped down to Dorset to be rebuilt. There is now a solid support from the hub to the subframe to provide support. Ive not fot it back yetto post any uo to date images 👍
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Hi young man!!!! Could you pop along to the new members section and do a intro. It's good manners even if we don't have any. :hoofle: Hope you can get the issue's sorted ok.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
cris_73

Post by cris_73 »

👍
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

Hi Chris, any chance you can upload some rear axle pics. This may give a better idea.

cris_73

Post by cris_73 »

I'm hoping the current refabrication of the rear axle will solve the issues. I don't have the trike back from Dorset yet. Nextgen are confident a issues have been addressed so fingers crossed wi have it home within the next couple of weeks 👍
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

I would ask what guarantee he is putting on that?

Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

It's a pity you already have a trike? Because if not you could have got in touch with Nabd. They will look at all the ways of converting a bike to a trike and help with grants etc. It may be a good idea to speak to them as they'll know who to go to for repairs near you.

Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

cris_73 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:43 pm I'm hoping the current refabrication of the rear axle will solve the issues. I don't have the trike back from Dorset yet. Nextgen are confident a issues have been addressed so fingers crossed wi have it home within the next couple of weeks 👍
I may be a pessimist but as they (BB Customs) did the original conversion, they should be doing this Gratis! All they are doing is fixing their own bad design / workmanship first off - can't imagine any warranty will extend past the workshop doors LOL!

As an aside, a mate rode one of those NC700's a few weeks back and was amazed - he's a confirmed biker and was pleasantly surprised at the ride, gear change and weather protection - apparently this bike was still on its original chain.........@ 50k miles! ! ! As i'm a Dullville rider, he tried to steer me towards one - but they are too spendy for my pocket at the moment!