newbie build of xvs 650 yamaha

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Glennuk
Part of the Furniture

Re: newbie build of xvs 650 yamaha

Post by Glennuk »

Will post you some photos and information later it’s easy once you know how on a Dragstar you need a MGF handbrake
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

thanks mate thats great will look for the bits and await your info and picks love your work an inspiration to us all.
Glennuk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Glennuk »

I will try and take some photos tomorrow because I have someone coming to look/buy it on Sunday.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

old git wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:32 pm rear axle A stamped on 10 inch wheels dont know what model anyhoo rown wheel has 42 teath pinion 13 prop turns 1.6 to 1.75 per full revolution of rear wheel which is 25 and 3/4 from road to top of tyre 1/2 inch taler than the origional rear wheel.to me this seams to be a good ratio but i dont know i can only think this would not be a screamer on the motorway as revs should stay low any info would be great thanks
Something isn't right - a 42/13 tooth count gives a 3.23 : 1 ratio which is ok - not the best, but tall enough, but your prop should rotate 3 and a quarter times (roughly) to one turn of back wheel. Your observation is putting it between 4.8 and 5.25 : 1 which is seriously LOW.... unless you want to tow a caravan LOL! Usually the rear tyres need to be much bigger than the original bike tyre as the bike rear bevel box gearing us usually less than 2:1 so larger diameter is needed to match bike road speed (if that's what you want) or end up thrashing the engine at national limit speeds?
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

yes kwaka, does seam odd to me but i will check every thing again as the prop joint is not welded yet but is a very tight fit i will put an alignment mark on prop and joint and check again will be a while as axle is striped down thanks for the info meanwhile if any one out there has a better diff i would be willing to purchase it thanks a lot.
Last edited by old git on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glennuk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Glennuk »

Here’s some handbrake photos it’s doesn’t stick out like that in real view it’s tucked well away
76305399-0923-4CA3-BA7D-8B697111597A.jpeg
B87A85D1-1168-49B0-BDB7-F2CBF1AE11E6.jpeg
2A3F3533-FE90-4C4A-8FBD-4F43EE1120C1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UGLYMICK
Part of the Furniture

Post by UGLYMICK »

Kawazuki wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:24 am
old git wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:32 pm rear axle A stamped on 10 inch wheels dont know what model anyhoo rown wheel has 42 teath pinion 13 prop turns 1.6 to 1.75 per full revolution of rear wheel which is 25 and 3/4 from road to top of tyre 1/2 inch taler than the origional rear wheel.to me this seams to be a good ratio but i dont know i can only think this would not be a screamer on the motorway as revs should stay low any info would be great thanks
Something isn't right - a 42/13 tooth count gives a 3.23 : 1 ratio which is ok - not the best, but tall enough, but your prop should rotate 3 and a quarter times (roughly) to one turn of back wheel. Your observation is putting it between 4.8 and 5.25 : 1 which is seriously LOW.... unless you want to tow a caravan LOL! Usually the rear tyres need to be much bigger than the original bike tyre as the bike rear bevel box gearing us usually less than 2:1 so larger diameter is needed to match bike road speed (if that's what you want) or end up thrashing the engine at national limit speeds?
have you got both wheel turning when you do this or just one,, you need both to turn to get the right reading
Glennuk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Glennuk »

Beat me to it i was just thinking the same
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

thanks guys just been up the workshop and re assembled axle and taped the prop together and now seams to be 3 turns to one as i marked on the diff in earlier picks dont know what went on there my carer must not have been watching but no, no wheels on for test as waiting for faulty one to be exchanged tomorrow hopefully thanks for the handbrake picks a great help glen hope it goes well selling the trike . i saw two in burnham on sea one production harly {guy wasent to talkative} and the other was a triumph rocket looked good but was going the other way.
Glennuk
Part of the Furniture

Post by Glennuk »

Old git did you sort out your pipe bending issue?