newbie build of xvs 650 yamaha

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
old git
Part of the Furniture

newbie build of xvs 650 yamaha

Post by old git »

hi i am old git as you can tell from he name im new to computers so please bear with me (his sons typing this now)
this is my build of an xvs 650 yammy.
this is a frame from a parts bike i have bought to use as a jig, any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

main question is front to rear wheel centres. anyone here got one or done one?

thanks

old git...

pictures of where we are at the moment below...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: newbie build of xvs 650 yamaha

Post by Deep Diver »

I like the wire wheels. The front to rear wheel centres look about right.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

got my cheap pipe bender today, 12 ton hydraulic. when the tube is formed the two front rollers leave dents at either side of the bend and all though i used a spirt level i found it particularly difficult to keep both ends flat and level so may use what i have done so far to make a wooden template and find a shop to bend it for me. the tube im using is rather thic wallled so this mat be art of the problem. hey ho less than 50 quid for 15 meters happy bending.theres a couple of pictures of the bike the rear end of the trike will be going on once fabricated. ive got a nearly new swing arm on the way as the one we are using to mock up with is a bit corroded and would need sandblasting which is quite expensive round our way.

thanks old git...

jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by jinjachin »

Looks like you know what you are doing as you are a fair way into the build just one thing have you checked your prop rotation direction because with the output on the left on some bikes you have to run the axel upside down so it goes the right direction . those cheep benders always put creases in the steel once you go past a certen angle it you have spare tube try filling it with dry sand then wet it in the tube and then bend I've read that can cut down the ripples worth a try Keep up the good work
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Hi old git, here's some of the measurements you were after from my 1100 XVS.
Distance from centre of front axle to centre of rear axle is 1775 mm or just over 69"
Width of rear axle from back of brake plate to back of brake plate is 990 mm.
Rear tyre centres are 1020mm
Diff ground clearance is 210mm.
My axle is turned upside down so i'm thinking as well that the 650 & 1100 engines both turn the same way so it's well worth checking your rotation direction for your axle before you go much further.
As I said in my pm, I've got loads of pics as to how mine's done so send me an email & i'll get them over to you. (far too many to put here).
Good luck with the build. Bob. :beer:
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

hi jinjachin yep checked out the rotation before i cut the axle ,got plenty of tube just messin at the moment ironing out the bugs and learning a new skill,bending. the law of luck seems to be on my side at the moment as what,s been my intuition has turned to be spot on but realy chuffed to have found you guys and have some of my ideas confirmed, thanks again
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

hi firebob22 thanks for that great amount of info i shot strait up the workshop and my front to rear axle centers are within half an inch of yours look forward to your detail pics. thanks again for your input this will make the build more enjoyable and less of a stress. and yes as i messaged jinjachin i did sort out axle rotation before i cut it down.by the way i used to live down your way i was posted to Colchester garrison from 89 to 92 thanks again in anticipation
firebob22
Part of the Furniture

Post by firebob22 »

Hi Eric, just a thought, but you might have a serious think about changing the rear suspension unit on the trike. The one in your pics looks like the standard Yam one & not only is a bugger to adjust, but is totally useless for a trike. Had the same one on mine to start with & it was like trying to ride a really pissed off hippo. Tried adjusting the standard unit & after slicing my fingers to shreds, found out it was already on it's highest setting. Had a chat with the really great people at Hagon shocks & after sending them all the different weights, loadings & dimensions, had a custom shock made with remote pre-load adjuster. Dead easy to use & set up & transformed the handling. Can't recommend them enough.
Hope your build goes well, & if you're ever down this way, feel free to drop in any time. Bob. :thumbsup:
Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints! :eek:
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

cheers for that bob i will give that some attention the bike in the pics is a parts bike and used as a test bed and jig the bike i am converting has less than 3 thou on the clock and the 650 is much lighter than yours but may handle the same so thanks for the heads up mate. eric
Last edited by old git on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

Be carefull putting bending loads into that axle - they bend easy. Mine was bent in both directions, had to make new tubes and press them in.