HD Sportster 1200C conversion to trike

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Re: HD Sportster 1200C conversion to trike

Post by Andy from Sandy »

Thank you.

When I started to reassemble the differential after coating I asked how they handled the variabilities of paint thickness. To which Steve didn't understand what I was asking and took it as an affront to their abilities and sent a rude and terse reply.

I can't remember what they charge to build a trike.

If the parts supplied had been fit for purpose I wouldn't of had to look for parts myself. That was the whole idea of paying them for a complete kit.

When I came to do the final build and cleaned up the wheel bearings the first thing I saw was they couldn't both be true E39 parts. Then I found the bearing had gone in one of them and then I got angry about being sent 15 year old clapped out wheel bearings that were clearly not checked before sending to me not the original cost. I would go as far to say if you were working on your E39 and doing a bit of a restoration job you wold of thrown the bearings I was supplied in the bin. Then I got even more angry when I find they could of supplied new and still made a very good profit.

I wonder if that wheel bearing would of found its way on to one of their built trikes?
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Just a quick update...

I am not sure if it even looks different but I have now fitted 4° raked fork yokes (triple trees). Cindy finds it now turns so much easier.

Just have an exhaust leak to fix and then fit the front exhaust heat shield to complete the build.

After that I am looking at an alloy front wheel that will take a wider tyre.
Deep Diver
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by Deep Diver »

Looking good Andy. For the exhaust I use gun gum paste in the tube. If you get the tin and then only use a bit it goes hard, but in the tube last's a bit longer. Are we going to see you two at the UKT meet in June.
http://www.trikedoctor.co.uk/forums/vie ... =7&t=17215
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Thank you. H D use compressed steel wool gaskets that work. The problem is with the fabrication work done to modify the bracket. These exhaust systems have an interconnect / balance connection between the 2 mufflers. It is the front interconnection that is leaking.

Casarva need to take care of their error but if not I will have to use gum gum or similar, cheers.

I saw the post this morning regarding UKT but as ever I hate acronyms and no nothing about it. :)

What are the full details please? I am sure Cindy will want to get to many trike meetings this year.
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

We on this forum are the UKT==United Kingdom Trikers. If you click on the link in my last post it will take you to the topic. Its a weekend meet in June with camping or b&b plus one or two member's get a bit drunk. :hide:

And I know about the balance pipe as the one on my 1200 leaks to. But the engine is in bits waiting a rebuild so that can wait for now.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

I have read the thread but can't seem to see details of where it takes place.
Mal

Post by Mal »

The trike looks great and i agree a fatter front tyre would give it more balance.
As for the UKT meet in June, its at the village of Long Itchington where on the Sat we star at the Kenilworth town fete then we star at the campsite sitting around a blazing fire eating great food and some of us may have a small drink or two. Have a look in Photos, Itchington 2018.
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Okay thanks, on both accounts, will take a look.

The bike will take a 100/90 19 but the rims are money for cast. Some have even managed to get a 110/90 19 to fit but the mudguard has to be modified. There is a 90/90 21 that will go straight on. At present it is a 80/90 21.
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

looks good youve done a good job
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Thank you.

To keep this thread up to date... trike now fitted with a 19" wheel.

It doesn't fill up the mudguard as it is about 1" smaller than a 21" wheel.

Happy to report that it has made the handling even better along with the raked tree kit from Frankenstein.