HD Sportster 1200C conversion to trike

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
swirl
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: HD Sportster 1200C conversion to trike

Post by swirl »

I think that looks a lot better compared to the spokes wheel, maybe move the mudguard down slightly and excellent
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

Small update: Cindy is enjoying her trike!

After Cindy had done a few miles we saw a strange white substance appearing on the belt but couldn't work out right away what the cause was.

What has happened is when Casarva modified the muffler interconnect bracket they put a bracing piece that goes from front to back. This they put directly under the belt. No matter how tight the belt is set it actually flexes up and down a good inch.

The original part has a bend to take the brace away from the belt and then another bend, s bend, to point the brace toward the back of the bracket.

I had a welder come round and modify the bracket but over time the weld at the back failed. After we went over how best way to proceed the remade bracket is holding up nicely.

I painted it with Simoniz VHT paint and used the engine to warm it to the 220°C required to cure it and the paint hasn't flaked off yet.

I was just making a list of the places that I can remember she have been to and so far Cindy has covered about 3500 miles. Some of the places have been visited on more than one occasion:
Stevenage
Letchworth
Ely
Newmarket
Towcester
Stratford
Henley-in-Arden
Northampton
Sywell
Yardley Hastings
Wellingborough
Great Yarmouth
Shefford
Uppingham
Cambridge
The National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffordshire
Silverstone Race Track
Donington Race Track
Milton Keynes

Our next planned outing is to Sywell tonight, Friday, and Southampton Sunday.
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

If you run them belts to tight you can knock out the drive pulley gearbox bearing.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

The rear cylinder rocker cover gasket has been leaking for a little while. I phoned up Dave at Northants V-Twin and mentioned oil was on the starter motor and he immediately said it is from the rear left corner as that is where they always develop a leak.

We went out last Thursday, when it was very hot you may recall. Everything got very hot!

With the trike back in the garage it stayed very hot for a very long time. (Should I be using very as many times as this?)

On Friday when I started the job by removing the tank I found the paint had lifted around the filler. Somehow the clear coat has been damaged allowing fuel to get under it.

A call to Sam Hubbard at AP Customs reassuringly told us how to stop the fault spreading, it does happen occasionally and to get the tank to him in the morning, Saturday. It is, for him, a straightforward repair job.

Stripping the tank down and removing the fuel pump I notice the insulation on two of the wires are damaged and have no idea when or how it has happened. The damage is right where the wire leaves the plug they thread through so not even a way to effect a repair. The wiring loom cannot be changed and the base plate cannot be bought with harness, a whole fuel pump module is required. New to you from your local H D dealer £390.

I can't yet find any H D breaker who might have the odd Sportster in stock. Can anyone offer any help there please?

Second hand units readily available from the States but nothing in the UK, which is getting typical now and very old as the Yanks say to how over here we don't have anything like the recycling of parts that goes on in America. With £50 shipping I don't know if I'm willing to take that much of a chance.

The rocker cover gasket however is very easy to change.

As an aside it is the same with air shocks for bikes. In America there is always some for sale costing as little as $100. Shipping to here though another $100 and not always getting shipped as they contain oil. Number of people in the UK getting rid of their air shocks? Zero!
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

Post a picture of the wires ? I know on the Enfield EFI bikes the fuel pumps act up and can be replaced with a after market pump and the wiring modified. The rocker gaskets leaked on mine so I fitted new ones with a smear of silicone on them.

Found this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARLEY-SPORT ... Swll1W0GBG

And this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFjgnvgCnew
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-19-harley ... Sw4apdOx8v

Where the wires exit the pump on the external side next to the fuel line connector.

There is nothing wrong with the pump itself but thanks for looking.

If the wire breaks the low fuel level sensor will be disconnected that might get embarrassing.

I could be tempted with a second hand one but yet to find one in the UK that I could at least have an easier ride with should something be wrong with it.