HD Sportster 1200C conversion to trike

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
old git
Part of the Furniture

Re: HD Sportster 1200C conversion to trike

Post by old git »

hi guys no criticism i was talking about the rear alys i put mgb wires on mine but as i said its a personal thing,and again well done on getting it finished and on the road and looking so good.
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Post by Andy from Sandy »

Certainly the colour of the rims don't really suit but are just stock OZ.

The style might also be improved upon. You don't really know how these things will turn out...
jinjachin
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Post by jinjachin »

First of very good write up . You will all ways have problems on a build like this but not as many as you had considering how much you paid as kawa said if they built it you wouldn't have known about them but you got there in the end and a really good job you done too it's come out really nice i hope she feels special when riding like the rest of us . Don't be surprised if you have to change a few things once she stars useing it that's just the way it is most of the time . Now it's time to learn from you experience and forget about it and enjoy . nice trike be proud :respek:
Last edited by jinjachin on Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

jinjachin wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:27 am First of very good write up . You will all ways have problems on a build like this but not as many as you had considering how much you paid as kawa said if they built it you wouldn't have known about them but you got there in the end and a really good job you done too it's come out really nice i hope she feels special when riding like the rest of us . Don't be surprised if you have to change a few things once she stars useing it that's just the way it is most of the time . Now it's time to learn from you experience and forget about it and enjoy . nice trike be proud :respek:
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Thank you.

Cindy can't wait to get going. I am just adding the mid mount foot pegs that will make it easier to get on and off. The right hand one fouls the foot brake rod so I am measuring up for a spacer. It requires the front pipe to be removed to fit it so it is stationary for next few days unfortunately.

It was brilliant that the process to get it MOT'd and re-classed with DVLA went without a hitch.

As the days roll on and the miles build up the memories will fade.
lepchaun

Post by lepchaun »

A great wright up and a very nice trike enjoy it now it will put a great big grin on both your faces that will never leave :thumbsup:
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

Andy from Sandy wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:53 pm Certainly the colour of the rims don't really suit but are just stock OZ.

The style might also be improved upon. You don't really know how these things will turn out...
Yu could always get the powder coated the same base colour of the paintwork.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

Kawazuki wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:14 pm re - the differential - I suspected as much! These diffs really are designed to be in oil to lube both the bearings, the planet gears and also the ring and pinion gears. Whilst the BMW is designed to cover multiple 000's of miles i'm fairly sure grease wasn't an option they considered. Using grease instead of engineering the housing to take a couple of oil seals is bodgery of first order IMO! I have no problem with the front wheel - it's a 21" if i'm right? just looks skinny in comparison is all!
Not sure who the 'old git' reference is aimed at?
Dunno how, and I wondered how story got from bare frame to finished comments with no words - I managed to completely miss page two! The 'Old Git' reference now makes sense!
I do like the paintwork - a lot, very nice! I'm not a fan of Hogs but if SWMBO enjoys the experience then life is good!
Andy from Sandy
Part of the Furniture

Thank you.

Cindy can't wait to get out with the rest of the group that is Sportster Sickness.

Recoating or painting the rims should be quite an easy task, we will look into that.
I do like the paintwork - a lot, very nice!
Sam Hubbard is a very talented guy that is for sure.

Every marque has their clubs and groups, we just found the Sportster Sickness group at this time to be the easiest for us.
minimutly
Part of the Furniture

Post by minimutly »

Top marks for perseverance, and for a good write up.
I always laugh when I hear people saying "professionally built" - you wonder how some proffesionals stay in business...
I have to say though - the powder coating thickness issue was not their fault - other than perhaps they might have warned you about it.
A couple of comments come to mind - firstly a question, assuming they would have had time, how much would have a finished conversion cost?
Secondly - an observation - such companies will allways charge a premium for parts sourced from the automotive spares industry (aka ebay stock clearance), they have no qualms about these charges.