Suzuki bandit 600 trike build

This is the place to show off your photos / details of your own trike build or resoration profect.
Montygti

Suzuki bandit 600 trike build

Post by Montygti »

I need some help. I want to turn my spare suzuki gsf 600 mk1 bandit into a trike but im struggling on what axle i should use. I would like to keep it chain driven partly because i dont know whether it is possible to turn it in to a shaft driven trike. Ive been told to use a robin rialto rear axle as you can fit a sproket to it and just cut the original diff casing but im struggling to find one. Any other suggestions. Ive given myself till june 2020 to get this finished as want to take it to the isle of man next year for the misses to ride.
lepchaun
Moved in and now we can't get rid

Re: Suzuki bandit 600 trike build

Post by lepchaun »

morning it has been done with chain drive to reliant axel how good it is I wouldent know or where to start but some one will
when u get a moment could u pop in to new members section and give a little info about urself
ta lep
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

How good are your engineering and fabrication skills as you are taking on a SHED load of work! Yes it can be done but leaves the diff semi-exposed, not running in oil and worse of all open to dirt, grit and debris - which shortens their life massively. Also with a chain and swing arm the chain slackens through arm movement which when amplified by the increased load of the diff and two wheels / tyres, shortens its life and also adds possibility of jumping teeth / snapping chain so decent method of tensioning needs to be used / added. Assuming you are keeping it 'suspended' you cannot modify the bike chassis to receive the axle and swinger - all has to be bolt-on to keep your registration. Oh and no the Bindit cases can't be modified for shaft drive.
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

Kawazuki wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:31 am How good are your engineering and fabrication skills as you are taking on a SHED load of work! Yes it can be done but leaves the diff semi-exposed, not running in oil and worse of all open to dirt, grit and debris - which shortens their life massively. Also with a chain and swing arm the chain slackens through arm movement which when amplified by the increased load of the diff and two wheels / tyres, shortens its life and also adds possibility of jumping teeth / snapping chain so decent method of tensioning needs to be used / added. Assuming you are keeping it 'suspended' you cannot modify the bike chassis to receive the axle and swinger - all has to be bolt-on to keep your registration. Oh and no the Bindit cases can't be modified for shaft drive.
what he said . its not easy to do and when it is done its not a great way of doing it you would be better of selling the bandit and buy ing somthing like a gt 550 which is shaft and probly one of the cheapest shafty you can buy .
jinjachin

Post by jinjachin »

jinjachin wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:58 am
Kawazuki wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:31 am How good are your engineering and fabrication skills as you are taking on a SHED load of work! Yes it can be done but leaves the diff semi-exposed, not running in oil and worse of all open to dirt, grit and debris - which shortens their life massively. Also with a chain and swing arm the chain slackens through arm movement which when amplified by the increased load of the diff and two wheels / tyres, shortens its life and also adds possibility of jumping teeth / snapping chain so decent method of tensioning needs to be used / added. Assuming you are keeping it 'suspended' you cannot modify the bike chassis to receive the axle and swinger - all has to be bolt-on to keep your registration. Oh and no the Bindit cases can't be modified for shaft drive.
what he said . its not easy to do and when it is done its not a great way of doing it you would be better of selling the bandit and buy ing somthing like a gt 550 which is shaft and probly one of the cheapest shafty you can buy .
ive just had a look at the gts im suprised how much they are fetching know :eek:
Deep Diver

Post by Deep Diver »

Look for a yam xj900 or kwka 750 or any of the shaft drive bikes.
You say you want your misses to ride it. Has she rode one before. You may get it all done and find out she can't ride it.
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.

Barry the cantankerous old goat. :poke:
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

hello fella if you take a look at the build thread newby build of a yamaha xvs 650 you can pick one up cheap on the bay i have a spare axle with the tube all ready shortend as i recently changed differentials and also an unaltered axle both for sale.If you are interested pm me any time a shaft drive is definitely the way to go,good luck and have fun.
Kawazuki
Part of the Furniture

Post by Kawazuki »

jinjachin wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:58 am
I've a GT550 trike built but not finished for sale .......... if you are interested :thumbsup:
Montygti

Post by Montygti »

Been doing some research about this and have decided to scrap the chain drive option. The reason im wanting to do this is cause ive got a thing for bandits and have only ever seen one done. What i think im going to do is get a Yamaha XS1100 Engine Output Shaft Drive Bevel box from the usa and use that to convert from chain to shaft then just get a reliant axle and use that. Thanks for all the advice guys and ill let you know how i progress and beg for help when i have an issue.
old git
Part of the Furniture

Post by old git »

AS i said i have two axles give me a pm and can do you a better deal than on flea bay and have one with new tube and shortend. Can wait untill you are ready no rush good luck.